Can we ever dream of a light NOD32?

Super_Spartan
Go to solution Solved by SweX,

With every new version, NOD32 becomes heavier and heavier.

Proof:

hxxp://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/avc_per_201311_en.pdf

Eset doing very bad, beat by Kaspersky, which is known to be heavy, Bitdefender, and even Symantec products.

It also seems to have adverse effects on download speeds according to theb enchmarks above.

I hope that this thread and be read by the management to re-focus on what Eset once was, the lightest AV yet one of the most powerful

• Administrators

I don't understand. I haven't seen a single user who would complain about ESET not being light on resources and that the cause of the problem would lie in ESET itself. It often happens that products that appear light in tests have a big system footprint in real life and vice-versa. If you asked ESET's users about their opinion, I think they would completely agree with me.

• Administrators

If you can provide an actual example of ESET slowing down your downloads, please do so so that we can investigate why it happens. It could be that it's a large archive that you're downloading and it takes some time to unpack it and scan all files inside.

If you can provide an actual example of ESET slowing down your downloads, please do so so that we can investigate why it happens. It could be that it's a large archive that you're downloading and it takes some time to unpack it and scan all files inside.

I can't actually, you may be right

so what are your comments on those bad benchmark results in the file I linked? it wasn't just one test, ESET was in like the 2nd category in every single test, fily copying, file downloading, etc.

In AV-Comparatives Performance test in May, ESET NOD32 AV V6 got an impact score of 0,6 points.

In AV-Comparatives Performance test in October ESET ESS V7 got an impact score of 6,4 points. 

There is a difference between the two versions yes. The Firewall and Anti-spam in ESS does not cause any performance issues that I know of, so is AMS in V7 the cause for the higher score in the october test.

Worth to know is that the May test was done in Win 7 while the October test was done in Win 8.

However, I do agree with Marcos that it is wrong to complain on the performance of the software it's still Fast. But it would still be very interesting to find out why the impact score rose to 6,4 from 0,6.  :unsure:

Edited by SweX

Hey Tweak ! :)

I am not an official ESET response, but i would like to poke the test from comparatives with a stick! :ph34r:

I work in one of those environments as a standard tech for all fields of IT. Receive PC's and Macs and Tablets all day for repair or virus removal.

This leads me to the opportunity to play with all the mentioned AV's in the test, not just a week of testing or however it long it took for the project, but yearly, everyday.

A month ago i removed Kaspersky version 10 from 13 computers Endpoint versions, due to huge computer performance issues.

Even the newest Symantec suites are uninstalled and removed because customers did not like them, the feel, or the speed of their computer. (Don't shoot the messenger, but this is coming from random public everyday people)

Yesterday i had a client who wanted a remote session with me to fix the slowness of their computer, i asked questions that lead me to understand, it was only the email, and specifically the web mail interface was sluggish.

Browser issues. I noticed right away, no security software. Installed ESS, and immediately started having pop-ups from PUA's. Browser related threats that were removed right away.

I ran through the normal, reset IE to defaults, clear cache, uninstall current version, chkdsk, memtest, etc.

Tested webmail again and it was still slow. The "First Scan" started to run, and told the client to let it complete and we will look in a few hours. 66 threats found and the browser issue was fixed.

Just Installing ESS increased this users computer speed by cleaning and repairing browser related issues in the background.

What i would be interested in, is seeing a test with the suites after 1 year of using the computer with apps and browsing etc.

Endurance test so to speak. Because i keep getting the tail end of these security suites because they cant clean up or maintain their reliability for more than a month of use.

I dont see those issues with ESET like i do with the other mentioned products. :P

Can't always rely on 1 test either. Many many more testing company out there!

• Solution

What i would be interested in, is seeing a test with the suites after 1 year of using the computer with apps and browsing etc.

Endurance test so to speak. Because i keep getting the tail end of these security suites because they cant clean up or maintain their reliability for more than a month of use.

I dont see those issues with ESET like i do with the other mentioned products. :P

Can't always rely on 1 test either. Many many more testing company out there!

Me too, it would be interesting to see.

I would also like someone to test on let's say 5 year old hardware to see wich products that run "fine" on older hardware too, since far from everyone buys new hardware every or every other year like Geeks do. I know ESET would do fine considering it runs fine on 9yr old hardware so 5yr old hardware would be a piece of cake.  :D

• ESET Insiders

It often happens that products that appear light in tests have a big system footprint in real life and vice-versa. If you asked ESET's users about their opinion, I think they would completely agree with me.

I dont know but those products seems to use some type of logon persistent cache locally stored for objects that are present in cloud whitelists, That could explain the additional speedup,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

eset 7 is heavy... heavier than 6 which was heavier than 5 which was heavier than 4.  Man I long for the eset 4 nod32 days.  I wonder if eset 4 would run on win8.1

Hmmm what sort of hardware do you run ESET on if you find that it is heavy? And do you run any other security software along ESET in realtime?

amd 1090T overclocked to 3.8Ghz with 16GB memory and 24 TB of disk with 256G SSD and nvidia titan.  It isn't my box.  I uninstall it and load up something like avast or just use windows defender and my system is much faster.

eset 4 was much faster on my old q6600.

no... just eset and just run the av... not the full suite.

Edited by doctorx

Hi doctorX

I have only Nod32 ver7 , and i have the exact opposite in terms of speed.

My system is closely a match in performance as yours.

I have a qx9650 overclocked @ 4.1ghz 6GB memory mushkin ddr2 as this is 775 socket, i have a lot of storage space too, and 2 gtx 770s with my third pciex lane holding an ssd ocz revo drive, faster then a sata ssd.

I can tell you that ekrn service uses the most memory out of any idle application i am running usually around 85,000KB.

However i have 6,000,000K available to me and thats not anything i am pressured to worry about. I never use more then around 3-4GB

My SSD takes care of any disk jobs like scanning.

Whatever ESET uses will be memory, and thats going to be the near the same throughput as my disk.

Might i add that Swex here only uses 512 MB of memory in his system and i dont think he has any performance issues ?? I would like to hear his thoughts on his system and the way it acts if ESET were removed ?

Any difference ?

If i removed it from mine, i don't think i would be able to differentiate between installed and not.

I am in no way saying your lying or are wrong doctor, however i would respectively like to question you if maybe there is some other software, not necessarily security related, that ESET does not get along with ?

That maybe Avast likes or doesnt have any problems being installed together with ?

Have you tried to disable HIPS or similar and see if your performance increases with ESET ?

Thanks doctor for your post and i hope i have helped and encouraged that a super fast system , may still be knocked down by incompatibility issues. :)

• Administrators

eset 7 is heavy... heavier than 6 which was heavier than 5 which was heavier than 4.  Man I long for the eset 4 nod32 days.  I wonder if eset 4 would run on win8.1

We'd really like to investigate your issue as version 6/7 should be the lightest in terms of footprint thanks to LiveGrid. I assume that you use default settings and have Smart optimization as well as LiveGrid enabled, do you?

Please create a new topic with this issue or send me a pm with information if disabling real-time protection or any of the other protection modules makes the performance issue go away.

Hi doctorX

I have only Nod32 ver7 , and i have the exact opposite in terms of speed.

My system is closely a match in performance as yours.

I have a qx9650 overclocked @ 4.1ghz 6GB memory mushkin ddr2 as this is 775 socket, i have a lot of storage space too, and 2 gtx 770s with my third pciex lane holding an ssd ocz revo drive, faster then a sata ssd.

I can tell you that ekrn service uses the most memory out of any idle application i am running usually around 85,000KB.

However i have 6,000,000K available to me and thats not anything i am pressured to worry about. I never use more then around 3-4GB

My SSD takes care of any disk jobs like scanning.

Whatever ESET uses will be memory, and thats going to be the near the same throughput as my disk.

Might i add that Swex here only uses 512 MB of memory in his system and i dont think he has any performance issues ?? I would like to hear his thoughts on his system and the way it acts if ESET were removed ?

Any difference ?

If i removed it from mine, i don't think i would be able to differentiate between installed and not.

I am in no way saying your lying or are wrong doctor, however i would respectively like to question you if maybe there is some other software, not necessarily security related, that ESET does not get along with ?

That maybe Avast likes or doesnt have any problems being installed together with ?

Have you tried to disable HIPS or similar and see if your performance increases with ESET ?

Thanks doctor for your post and i hope i have helped and encouraged that a super fast system , may still be knocked down by incompatibility issues. :)

ok... then tell me why when i remove eset, my system gets much faster.  I have tried it many times and over several reloads.  It impacts my gaming badly and you see it studdering which i do not have with windows defender or avast.

We'd really like to investigate your issue as version 6/7 should be the lightest in terms of footprint thanks to LiveGrid. I assume that you use default settings and have Smart optimization as well as LiveGrid enabled, do you?

Please create a new topic with this issue or send me a pm with information if disabling real-time protection or any of the other protection modules makes the performance issue go away.

I can answer that now... disabling real time scan does not help the performance issue... just uninstalling eset does it.  I am not running it now because of this.  And to add, I was serious about every version getting slower.  Eset 4 AV screamed on the same hardware with windows 7.

• Administrators

We have offered you our help in pinpointing the issue. It could be that HIPS is blocking an application running on your computer is attempting to intervene into crucial system processes or registry keys. Unfortunately, without your assistance and narrowing it down to the particular module this will remain just a speculation and obviously we won't be able to fix it or tell how to circumvent it.

Let us know if disabling HIPS works or not. Not Real-time protection.

Avast is a hard disk killer and bloat package. You need a 20 petaflop computer to run it.

It does have a sexy woman voice talk to you when your updated although, however shes probably in cahoot with the malware :lol:

We have offered you our help in pinpointing the issue. It could be that HIPS is blocking an application running on your computer is attempting to intervene into crucial system processes or registry keys. Unfortunately, without your assistance and narrowing it down to the particular module this will remain just a speculation and obviously we won't be able to fix it or tell how to circumvent it.

I will open up a separate thread for this... and I will reinstall it again.