Uninstalling eset Security , left PC UNBOOTABLE

Ok seeing as the version i updated to V11.1.47.0 Wasn't working correctly i thought i would completely uninstall it and start again, after uninstalling using windows uninstaller  i was going to then boot into safe mode, and use the uninstaller tool  but it would not boot into safe mode or normal mode, I attempted  a startup repair  but the z170 chipset and Win7  usb, no keyboard or mouse  to be able to select and excute it,  so i opted to use system restore , and it was bootable again, (blue screens signified data corruption on the HDD ?????) what is going on eset? I currently have version 11.1.42.1  which is not activated, last time i do an in-place upgrade , so what i want to know is the best way of removing this non working version without rendering my pc unbootable again????????????????????????

Edited by tommy456

• Administrators

This is not a standard behavior and nobody else has reported an issue like this. Theoretically this could happen if edevmon.sys is removed from the disk but remains registered in the registry, e.g. when the computer is suddenly turned off or restarted before the installation / driver unregistration is completed.

I just did an uninstall of ESET Smart Security Premium on a Win 7 x64 system using the Windows uninstaller from Programs & Features and had the same issue. The desktop was completely void of anything to include the start button and menu bar.

So, I think this is a valid issue.

I was able to shutdown the system using the power button. When the system restarted, it was normal.

Edited by tjg79

I also had a similar issue when I tried to uninstall 11.1.42 that I posted in another thread.

In my case, the Eset uninstaller indicated it encountered an error. A popup was presented with the only option being to cancel. When I did so, the result was that Eset was not fully uninstalled. All its directories were removed for the most part but Windows Defender Security Center indicated Eset was still the realtime protection and firewall. I also could not activate Windows Defender realtime protection because of this. Luckily for me a reboot straightened things out allowing me to activate WD realtime protection. Once that was done, I downloaded and installed a prior Eset version w/o issue.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

This is not a standard behavior and nobody else has reported an issue like this. Theoretically this could happen if edevmon.sys is removed from the disk but remains registered in the registry, e.g. when the computer is suddenly turned off or restarted before the installation / driver unregistration is completed.

I had to use system restore  to restore my PC in order for it to boot into windows again, the BSOD was saying some bs about corruption on the disk and to run chdisk,lol, i was unable to perform a start up repair due in part to it being a z170 board  running win 7, no keyboard control to be able to select it, so i'm back to the unworking prior to  11.1.47.0 the nonscanning version that was pushed by eset servers what i want to know is this  how can i uninstall this borked version without losing the use of my PC  or having to re install win7  ? BTW the PC shutdown normally before initiating a restart, so ???? and i uninstalled via the windows control panel, as i have done with previous versions 

I also requested a link to the version that worked 11.0.59.9 why have eset removed this from their website,  it's either this broken version offered or version 10/ 9

Edited by tommy456

Just tried uninstalling  again same result unbootable PC this time i used the option in the ESET menu after pressing start all programs,  So i have a borked product on my machine that i cannot cleanly remove and it renders my pc unbootable, why is reset releasing such problematic software

I found this on another web site :

Daniel (ESET)
Chipotle
Daniel (ESET) Apr 25, 2017 at 12:51 AM

Brand Representative for ESET

Apologies for the inconvenience, Jim. The issue you have experienced is a rare circumstance that could occur if ESET is in conflict with another application’s drivers, or if ESET had become corrupt and therefore could no longer be uninstalled with the documented manual removal method (KB SOLN2289).

We recommend booting into Safe Mode and running the ESET uninstaller tool twice, just to be sure (as downloaded from hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2289/). While still in Safe Mode, follow these steps:

1. Manually delete all ESET drivers in the following path: C:\Windows\System32\drivers. For ESET Internet Explorer, the following drivers may appear in the drivers folder: eamonm.sys, edevmon.sys, eelam.sys, ehdrv.sys, ekbdflt.sys, and epfwwfp.sys. To check and see which items are ESET-related in the drivers folder, hover over each item starting with the letter ‘e’ with your mouse: The ‘Company’ name should be ESET.
  2. Delete all ESET folders. Check the following paths: C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86), C:\ProgramData, C:\Users\Admin\AppData(\Local, \LocalLow, \Roaming).
  3. Remove ESET from the registry, using the following paths as reference: HKey_Current_User > Software > ‘ESET’ & HKey_Local_Machine > Software > ‘ESET’
ESET products can typically be removed via appwiz.cpl.

Edited by tommy456

• Most Valued Members

@tommy456 Have you actually managed to boot your PC into safe mode yet ?? As your original message states that you could not do this.

Getting into safe mode then running the ESET uninstall tool should work.

I have tried uninstalling this .... normally  and ended up with a pc that won't boot into windows even safe mode, the only thing i am able to do uninstalling from windows is to restore my pc  to before i tried uninstalling it, as a result, the version has rolled back to the bugged version 11.1.42.1  it does appear that eset is not unregistering this driver/service properly but deleting the actual file causing the BSOD at boot , I may try this method next  just uninstall in safe mode using the eset uninstal tool  hopefully that will unregister these drivers/services properly,  is there any way i can check it has before restarting ?  so i can confirm

Edited by tommy456

32 minutes ago, tommy456 said:

is there any way i can check it has before restarting ?  so i can confirm

Eset services are stored in this registry key -  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

The service names are:

• eamonm
  • edevmon
  • ehdrv
  • ekbdflt
  • ekrn
  • epfw
  • epfwwfp
  • ESETCleanersDriver

The uninstaller should stop all these services, unregister, and delete them.

First, you need to download the Eset uninstaller from here: http://support.eset.com/kb2289/ . It has to be run in Win Safe mode. Before you run the uninstaller, thoroughly read and make sure you understand all posted in the KB article.

Note the following points:

1. Backup your network settings per instructions given. Also copy down restore procedures for same in case your settings are "hosed" by the uninstaller.

2. Run the uninstaller with the following parameter:

• /force removes all present ESET products and components (including ERA components) without being prompted; run the uninstaller with the /force parameter

3. be aware of the following:

• In some cases, the ESET Uninstaller tool will need to be launched by typing ESETUninstaller.exe /reinst into the command line and pressing Enter. The ESET Uninstaller utility will prompt you if the switch is necessary.

If you are prompted to use the ESETUninstaller.exe /reinst command, your Network Interface Card settings will be reset. We recommend that you record your network settings somewhere so that you can easily reconfigure them after running the uninstaller tool.

47 minutes ago, tommy456 said:

I have no ESETCleanersDriver  at this location in the reg , but i do have a EpfwLWF driver  the others are present

Did you run the Eset Uninstaller?

I think we are getting wires crossed, i was just reporting on what reg entries i see with eset still installed  for comparison, I'll try uninstalling  using the uninstaller tool tomorrow/later today,

14 hours ago, Marcos said:

I reported the same to you here on 19th March after uninstalling Eset AV 11.1.42.0 at your suggestion. I had to reinstall my system from a backup image.

4 hours ago, Phil_S said:

I reported the same to you here on 19th March after uninstalling Eset AV 11.1.42.0 at your suggestion. I had to reinstall my system from a backup image.

The BSOD i got both times was HDD related suggesting i ran ckdisk

I decided to ring support, who after me explaining  things to them, removed eset 11.1.42.1 broken version,  By manually stopping eset and using a prog to delete all the necessary reg  entries and then running the uninstaller tool  in none safe mode  and i was FREE from it, Upon installing the version  11.0.59.9 the firewall module  was not working, because a driver failed to instal correctly, so some more remnants of the broken version or other versions along with reg entries  and then uninstalled  with normal installer this time, re installed  again, now working