Eset slows down first Chrome start

Since a few days I recognized that the first Chrome start is taking ~ up to 10 seconds. After removing Eset it starts like instant again. Opening another window of chrome is instant, like normal.

I tried the Google Canary Builds with ESET -> Instant start (but other problems, normal for canary)

I also tried a fresh Windows 10 (1709) Install with nothing but drivers, chrome, and ESET IS -> Slow start of Chrome again.

No ESET / Windows / Chrome options changed, everything is pure Default Settings.

Chrome Version 65.0.3325.162

ESET: 11 (tried downgrade to 10 / same result)

• Administrators

Does pausing real-time protection make a difference? If not, what about temporarily disabling protocol filtering or advanced scanning of scripts in the web protection setup?

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, galaxy said:

I can confirm

Which of the above that I suggested to try do you confirm to get the issue go away?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Does pausing real-time protection make a difference? If not, what about temporarily disabling protocol filtering or advanced scanning of scripts in the web protection setup?

It is caused by the HTTP Scanner Module. (WEB PROTOCOLS / ENABLE HTTP PROTOCOL CHECKING)  After disabling that Chrome is starting normal.

ESET 11.1.42.0

Edited by smuper

Does interrupting real-time protection make a difference? If not, what if you temporarily disable log filtering or advanced scanning of scripts in Web Protection Setup?

why should I disable that?

the scan also hangs

• Administrators

Is it enough to pause web protection (1) or only disabling protocol filtering (2) makes the issue go away ?

1. Web protection paused

image.png

2. Protocol filtering disabled

image.png

Need to disable Protocol filtering. Or as mentioned above disable HTTP PROTOCOL CHECKING.

Pause web protection changed nothing.

Edited by smuper

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- in the advanced update setup -> tools -> diagnostics, enable both advanced firewall and protocol filtering logging
- reproduce the issue
- disable logging
- collect logs with ELC
- delete the content of C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics
- temporarily disable protocol filtering
- in the advanced update setup -> tools -> diagnostics, enable advanced firewall logging
- try to reproduce the issue (this time it shouldn't manifest as you said)
- stop logging
- collect another set of logs with ELC.

Finally upload both archives generated by ELC to a safe location and drop me a message with download links.