Different ESET Internet Security settings over different accounts

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a way to have different settings (firewall filtering mode mostly) on different Windows 10 accounts. For example I have my main admin account where I've setup Eset on interactive mode so I can control inflow/outflow of connections etc. But I have also created a guest/visitor account with limited access for other users on my personal PC which I wish to set the filtering mode into automatic so they won't accidentally allow access to an unknown connection and end up messing my PC. How can I do that? I tried to use the profiles tab under firewall but it doesn't automatically change when I change accounts. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

• Administrators

Firewall rules are not per-user settings. The firewall must work even if no user is logged in so it would be difficult if not impossible to base firewall profiles on the currently logged in user.

So then there is no way to automatically switch from interactive to automatic filtering mode depended on the user? Because if someone with guest access starts allowing everything without knowing what he is doing I'll be in a heap of trouble. Can I NOT use Eset for guest user and use the windows firewall?

9 hours ago, persian-boy said:

You nee to disable the guest account from group policy

No need to do this. It is disabled by default on Win 10 and there is in reality, no way to enable it: http://you-cant-enable-guest-account-windows-10-stop-trying .

In regards to the OP's original firewall concern, the firewall Interactive mode really only protects against already resident malware outbound connections. The firewall's primary objective is to prevent unwanted inbound malware traffic.

Eset does have the capability to create specific rules to be applied using firewall profiles. You can read about that here: http://help.eset.com/eis/11/en-US/idh_config_epfw_profiles_group.html . This capability however is conditioned by network adapter use. One possibility is if the default limited Admin account uses an Ethernet connection and the router also has Wi-Fi capability, restrict the standard user account to using the Wi-Fi connection only. Then firewall rules could be created for a profile and that profile assigned to the Wi-Fi adapter.

I'm pretty sure that some routers allow you to do this. I had a DrayTek router previously and being a business class router, it had a tremendous amount of settings that could be tweaked, including if I recall, the option to force every user on the network to log in and have their own set of rules. It may be overkill, but I think you can download a manual from their website to check out whether it would meet your purposes. Good luck.