Installed Eset and now computer will not start up

Hello everyone, 

I am quite frustrated at the moment. I have a HP Spectre laptop that came with McAfee when I bought it. the McAfee was expiring so I purchased Eset Smart Security Premium. It told me I had to uninstall McAfee before installing Eset. So I downloaded Eset removal program, turned off my wifi, uninstalled McAfee and went to install Eset. It said my computer needed to be restarted, so I clicked restart. Now my computer will not boot up. It says preparing automatic repair, then diagnosing your computer. Then says Your PC did not start correctly. Press "Restart" to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC. When I click restart it does the same thing again. When I click advanced options it says, Continue (Exit and continue to Windows 10), Use a device (use a device drive, network connection, or Windows recovery DVD), Troubleshoot (Reset your PC or see advanced options), or Turn off your PC. If I hit continue it starts the same cycle again. 

Eset says they are open until 5pm PST which is local time. I called at 445 and they said they were already closed. Now it is the weekend and I don't have my computer working. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I am highly disappointed!!

• Administrators

Did you uninstall the previous AV via the standard uninstall procedure? Could you try using MCPR removal tool (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/mcafee-consumer-products-removal-tool/)? You might need to run the ESET uninstall tool in safe mode and then try installing v11 from scratch once the previous AV has been uninstalled completely.

• ESET Insiders
6 hours ago, Stacy Pierre said:

Hello everyone, 

I am quite frustrated at the moment. I have a HP Spectre laptop that came with McAfee when I bought it. the McAfee was expiring so I purchased Eset Smart Security Premium. It told me I had to uninstall McAfee before installing Eset. So I downloaded Eset removal program, turned off my wifi, uninstalled McAfee and went to install Eset. It said my computer needed to be restarted, so I clicked restart. Now my computer will not boot up. It says preparing automatic repair, then diagnosing your computer. Then says Your PC did not start correctly. Press "Restart" to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC. When I click restart it does the same thing again. When I click advanced options it says, Continue (Exit and continue to Windows 10), Use a device (use a device drive, network connection, or Windows recovery DVD), Troubleshoot (Reset your PC or see advanced options), or Turn off your PC. If I hit continue it starts the same cycle again. 

Eset says they are open until 5pm PST which is local time. I called at 445 and they said they were already closed. Now it is the weekend and I don't have my computer working. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I am highly disappointed!!

Did you try to boot you laptop in safe mode?

Only guessing but could the fact that you turned off your Wi-Fi before uninstalling McAfee have prevented it from fully uninstalling.

Have you tried the option " Reset your PC or see advanced options " or tried to use system restore (if you have any restore points that is). One lesson here for future reference is to be prepared for this problem in advance. The solution that works for me is to have disc images made by Macrium Reflect stored on a separate partition and also on NAS. It also provides an emergency recovery procedure because each time I boot up my computer it gives me the option to start Windows 10 normally (the default option) or boot into the Macrium recovery mode. It's got me out of trouble a few times.

Another thing you could try if all else fails is boot into safe mode (if possible) and then try running the excellent free Windows repair tool from tweaking.com.