Outlook add-in problem

Figurz

Outlook 2016, latest build on W10, html format emails started being sent with blank body, no apparent change in setup.

Switched to sending plain text messages and that worked fine.

Disabled the Eset Outlook add-in and the problem was fixed.

Is there something that needs to be updated so the add-in can be reinstated?

I'm also experiencing this for the first time starting this morning.  Disabling ESET plugin in Office 2016 on Windows 7 fixed the problem for now, but I would like to re-enable the plugin as soon as possible!

Edited by beewerks

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, beewerks said:

I'm also experiencing this for the first time starting this morning.  Disabling ESET plugin in Office 2016 on Windows 10 fixed the problem for now, but I would like to re-enable the plugin as soon as possible!

I was unable to reproduce it. Does the issue occur only with HTML emails? Do you have adding a tag signature to outgoing scanned email enabled? Does the issue manifest also if you send an email to yourself? Does temporarily disabling the options for adding addresses to the antispam address book make a difference?

image.png

I can't find that setting under Advanced in ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.6.  I noticed that not all of my users with Outlook 2016 experience the issue until they get their latest updates via Office 365 subscription.  My affected build for Outlook is Version 1801 (Build 9001.2138 Click-To-Run) Monthly Channel.

We do have signatures in our email bodies with a .png graphic in them.  Those do come through as attachments, just no text in the body to the email.

I also just realized that it seems to be my Windows 7 users and not the Windows 10 users who are effected by this.

Edited by beewerks
Revised effected operating system

Encountering the same issue here. Not sure what changed to cause it. Appears to be impacting all of our Outlook 2016 systems, the older ones with 2007 appear unaffected right now. Can confirm that this only seems to be impacting html format emails as changing it to rich text allows them through without blanking out the body. I'll see if I can do some digging to find out if it was the ESET plugin that updated or Outlook that updated, but this seems like a result of something that likely patched in this morning.  

Had the same issue for a hand full of 2016 Outlook/ Home and Bizz on Win 10 Pro. Close out Outlook disabled the integrated option from Eset launch Outlook and you are back to normal.

I'm having the same issue. I'm using ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.6.2072.0. The machines are Windows 10 x64 and using Microsoft Office 365 16.0.9001.2138.  This is affecting all my users.

Same problem here.
The issue appeared after installing the KB4058258 update from Microsoft.
Disabling the ESET plugin fixes the problem. It exists both with HTML or Plain Text e-mails.

Same problema here !!!!! Disabling ESET Outlook add-in resolved the issue. Any solution at this time ?? I don´t wanna clear the addin on the clients computers !!!

Regards,

10 hours ago, Lachitomx said:

Same problema here !!!!! Disabling ESET Outlook add-in resolved the issue. Any solution at this time ?? I don´t wanna clear the addin on the clients computers !!!

Regards,

Same problema here !!!!! Disabling ESET Outlook add-in resolved the issue. 

Its only one way

Edited by Pozun

I have the same problem at my organization. We're using ESET Endpoint Antivirus (version 6.2.2033.1) and ESET Remote Administrator Agent (version 6.2.190.0) running on Windows 7 and Windows 10 based PCs. Most of Windows 7 machines run Office 2013, several have Office 2016 (365), while all Windows 10 machines have Office 2016 (365) installed.

I've found common factor for every computer that had this issue - its Office 2016 has been updated to version 1801. I have several computers with Office 2016 1612 (updates were disabled for that PC) and Office 2016 1708 (delayed upgrades branch) and these do not have this issue. I personally contacted every person that notified us about this issue and every single one of them had O2016 1801 installed on their PCs.

Dear ESET staff, please try running ESET Outlook Add-in with Office 2016 1801, this should replicate the issue.

Best regards

We also have the same issue, again all machines that have been effected so far are on the 1801 update of Office 2016 however only a subset of machines with that update are seeing the problem. 

As a test we tried reinstalling ESET on a couple of the machines with issues which seemed to have resolved the problem at least temporarily, turning off the add-in as already suggested also fixes the problem. 

As the users are usually unaware of the issue until the receiving party notifies them and as two of our users were notified of issue by external contacts we've now disabled the add-in via group policy. We have other AV protection in place and whilst it's not ideal to disable the add-in it's a better option than sending our external contacts empty emails given the impression that makes, also we don't have to worry about someone losing a chunk of time writing emails only to find that not only did it not make it intact to the recipient but that the copy in the sent items is also empty and they have to start from scratch.

• Administrators

Please check if you have Egress Switch among installed add-ins (File -> Options -> Add-ins). You can also try to disable all add-ins but ESET (COM Add-ins -> Go) and see if it makes a difference. If that resolves the issue, re-enable the add-ins, one at a time, to narrow it down.

Experiencing the same issue with outgoing emails being blank. Disabling ESET addon resolved the issue as a temporary fix. There was not an Egress Switch addon installed for outlook.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Jeryn said:

There was not an Egress Switch addon installed for outlook.

Do you have any other non-standard add-on installed in Outlook?

If somebody is willing to arrange a remote session on Friday (Feb 9) between 10 AM CET and 15 PM CET, let me know. Since we were unable to reproduce the issue on our part, our engineers would connect remotely to your machine to pinpoint the issue.

Hi,
Tested with only ESET plugin enabled and the problem remains...
A workaround is to create a new policy disabling the option to check the sent e-mail (WEB AND EMAIL -> Email client protection -> Sent email <disable>), setting forced, and apply on affected users.
At least it works with plugin enabled.

Just chiming in to say this is happening at a client's organization.  GSuite via Outlook w/ ESET Outlook Add-in.  Disabled ESET Outlook Add-in, problem resolved.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, ryanm said:

Just chiming in to say this is happening at a client's organization.  GSuite via Outlook w/ ESET Outlook Add-in.  Disabled ESET Outlook Add-in, problem resolved.

Instead of disabling the ESET add-in, temporarily disable scanning of outgoing email which shouldn't be needed as long as you have real-time protection enabled and scanning files that are attached to email.

Currently using 6.62046.0 Eset Endpoint Security 

We disabled Integrate in Outlook originally, but the work around that support gave us was.

-Disable scanning of Sent email form Email to scan

-Uncheck Allow user address list from Antispam Address Books

-Turn back on Integrate in Outlook and relaunch mail client. 

Hi,

We're using: Eset Endpoint Security 6.6.2072.2 (and 6.6.2072.0); Windows 8.1; MS Outlook 2016 (Office 365, 16.0.9001.2102, 64-bit) - and some of our users are experiencing this issue.

I have tried just disabling the scanning of sent email but that does not help. Disabling the integration of Eset with Outlook does help.

Hoping the will be an update soon. Is this the best place to lookout for any fix?

• Administrators

Please confirm that the following workaround works:

1, For ESET Endpoint Antivirus or ESET Endpoint Security, disable "Sent email":

image.png

2, For ESET Endpoint Security, disable "Add recipient addresses from outgoing messages" in addition to the above:

image.png