Outlook add-in problem

Figurz

Disabling sent email (first screenshot) seemed to resolve the issue. I was unable to find the option in the second screenshot to disable, but it seems it was not needed.

Edited by Jeryn

• Administrators
Just now, Jeryn said:

Disabling sent email (first screenshot) seemed to resolve the issue. I was unable to find the option in the second screenshot to disable, but it seems it was not needed.

The second setting is applicable only for ESET Endpoint Security since it's antispam-related.

Had a second user hit me up this morning and she did have Endpoint Security installed. Just disabling Sent Email did not fix the issue. It did have to be both options as you previously mentioned. So depending on the ESET being Endpoint Security or Endpoint Protection it might require both being disabled to fix.

But it does look like disabling those settings resolved the issue.

Hi Marcos,

Yes disabling those two options ('sent' and 'add addresses from outgoing messages') on ESET Endpoint Security allows our affected users to send e-mail whilst keeping ESET going for incoming email. Thanks.

• Administrators

Please let us know what version of MS Exchange Outlook connects to and whether the issue doesn't occur in case you send email via a gmail or another smtp server.

A weird thing is the issue suddenly stopped occurring while we were troubleshooting the issue with one of our customers without making any changes.

Looked up the exchange version on our connection --> 15.20.464.16 <-- this is Office 365 and the version seems newer than their list of versions published in December: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh135098(v=exchg.150).aspx

Outlook Version 1801 (Build 9001.2144 Click-to-Run)

We're using Exchange Version 15.0 (Build 1130.7).

Outlook Version 1801 (Build 9001.2138 Click-to-Run) (Monthly Channel).

Only some users with this setup are currently affected - others aren't. Another user started to have this problem today (they were fine yesterday).

If' I'm able to get on a affected PC and try a different mail server I'll report back.

More users affected by this today - I assume some update from Microsoft is causing this and it becomes apparant after each client installs the update...?

FYI: This could be a coincidence but it seems that those users affected by this ESET issue are also unable to forward attachments from plain text e-mails (even with ESET disabled). This sounds similar to an an issue that .msi installations of Office 2016 were experiencing following the January KB4011626 update and MS issued a patch for that:

"https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4011626/descriptionofthesecurityupdateforoutlook2016january9-2018"

The patch cannot be applied to Office 365 installations.

Our Outlook Versions are: 1801 (Build 9001.2138 & Build 9001.2144, Click-to-Run) (Monthly Channel).

Having the same issue across sites/domains in our organization.  The vast majority are not reporting any trouble, but it seems those that are having trouble had ESET installed fresh in recent months using a download from the website.

Office 365 / Outlook 2016 Versions are: 1801 (Build 9001.2138 & Build 9001.2144, Click-to-Run) (Monthly Channel)

The work-around to disable scanning of sent e-mail is working for now....

Two of the first reports of trouble came form users that reported their issue went away on its own after shutting down their computer and turning it back on.  Others, not so lucky and required the work-around.

Edited by WhyreWhyre

Quick update:

Have tried installing the latest Microsoft Office patch and this has not helped to resolve the problem.

Latest version of Outlook: 1801 (Build 9001.2171, Click-to-Run) (Monthly Channel).

Hi,

we had the same problem on one of our computers (Win 10 Enterprise 64-bit, Version 1709, Build: 16299.248) with installed Office 2016 (64-bit) -> version 1801 (9001.2171) (latest version) and installed ESET Endpoint Antivirus v6.6.2052.2.

On the computer I've deleted an older Office 2016 version, because of some Excel problems, afterwards I've installed the latest Office 2016 release (v1801 9001.2171). The Excel problem was solved, but after some time the user of the computer came to me and told me about the issue -> every mail (it doesn't matter of internal or external) which was sent, was empty (mail text empty). This happended to HTML and Rich-Text mails every time. Only Plain Text mails were complete.

Disabling the "ESET Outlook Add-In" (COM-Add-In) directly in Outlook 2016 helped for the moment.

Afterwards I've downloaded the latest version of ESET Endpoint Antivirus (v 6.6.2072.4) and reinstalled it on the computer today.

With the newest version of ESET Endpoint Antivirus, the problem was gone on the computer (with acitvated ESET Outlook Add-In).

The question is, which combination / version of Office 2016 and ESET Endpoint Antivirus running into the issue?

I've had no problem on my computer with installed Office 2016 (64-bit, v1801 (9001.2171)) and ESET Endpoint Antivirus v6.6.2068.1 (+ Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (Version 1709, Build: 16299.248)).

Edited by Matthias

Hello

Same problem, and now with all users of company.

My computer is Win 10 64b Version 1709 / 16299.248 - Office 2016 (365) 32b Version 1801 / build 9001.2171 - Eset End point Security 6.6.2072.4

This is also problematic on other computers with older version 6.6.2068.1& 6.6.2046.1

I try the fix https://support.eset.com/alert6664/ but no success

This happen every time when our ERP software generate email to send order by email. Or when I made a right click on a file to send this document by email.

What is the risk to disable the eset add in ? Is antispam and other stop working ?

Today I had a user report the issue only happens when she sends e-mail originating through Windows Snipping Tool.  She had not experience the problem otherwise, just with Windows Snipping Tool.  I applied the work-around and she could then send an e-mail originating from Windows Snipping Tool through Outlook 2016 without issue. 

The majority of our users have ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.3.x and are not having the issue.  It is only with 6.6 versions that we are having trouble.  I have not yet tried the latest 6.6 build.  It doesn't matter if Windows 7 or Windows 10.  All users are using Office 365 / Outlook 2016 Versions 1801 (Build 9001.2138 or newer) (Monthly Channel), except for a pocket of users still using Office 2010 that aren't reporting any trouble.

Edited by WhyreWhyre

Hi. MS Office 2016 Click To Run 16.8827.2148 it works fine. I rolled back to test and confirm.

On both 16.9001.2138 & 16.9001.2171 it's stripping the e-mail body if the scanning sent items is enabled. If I disable sent items scanning it works as expected and used to.

Windows 7 Office 2016, available to troubleshoot if needed.

I also updated ESET EEA 6.6.2072.0 to 6.6.2072.4 as a troubleshooting step, no change.

Hi.  Having same issue as well.  Eset V 6.6.2072.4, Office click to run 9001.2171, and Exchange v 15.20.506.0 (office 365).

Workaround has solved it for now.  Just wanted to add my voice too

Hi all

I am able to send attachments from 3rd party applications, however any bodied information is removed without doing the step mentioned with disabling checking sent mail.

My clients were also having the same issue as of the last week or so. My colleague was not. His ESET add-in was already disabled. I disabled it and I could send bodied information that was launched from 3rd party apps. Reenabling the ESET add-in and disabling the Sent email check also fixed it. I however don't want to apply this fix to customers machines as this should not be an issue. Do we know if ESET is working on fixing this?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, ClanFever said:

Do we know if ESET is working on fixing this?

Unfortunately we still do not know what is triggering the issue. A customer that our engineers were working with said that the issue stopped occurring without any intervention or changes made. If we have some news, we'll let you know. Leaving scanning of sent email is basically safe since users do not normally attach fresh malware to email and even in such case the file would be scanned by real-time protection.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

So far all cases that users reported have been magically resolved themselves before we were able to connect remotely and debug the issue.

• 1 month later...

Here with Windows 10 Home, Outlook 365, NOD32 Antivirus.

The problem startet when we started to digitally sign and encrypt (COMODO certificate) mails. All replies (and only the replies) which are signed or encrypted are going out as completely empty mails (even without subject). When I disable scanning of Sent Mails in NOD32 the problem is gone.

• Administrators
On 5/29/2018 at 7:12 PM, Nobaly said:

The problem startet when we started to digitally sign and encrypt (COMODO certificate) mails. All replies (and only the replies) which are signed or encrypted are going out as completely empty mails (even without subject). When I disable scanning of Sent Mails in NOD32 the problem is gone.

This is most likely a different issue than the one discussed in this topic. At least I assume that no one of the above users sign outgoing email; at least it was not explicitly mentioned. Keeping scanning of sent email off is basically safe since any file you attach to an email is scanned by real-time protection with the exception of archives. We are currently in the process of revamping the plug-in and the new version will address several issues. There's a good chance it will fix also this one. The new plug-in should be included in Endpoint v7.1.

• 1 month later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello @Aleksander,

as we are not able to reproduce the issue in-house, we had multiple remote sessions with a customers affected, but always somehow the issue got fixed by itself, before we were able to debug it.

So I would recommend you to file a ticket for the partner support to arrange the session, if the issue persists and if the customer agrees with it.

Either we will debug it and find out how to proceed or it will fix itself again :-D

Regards, P.R.

Hi @Peter,

thank you for your reply. I will contact our client and let you know or better contact partner support if they decide to go in that direction.

Best regards,

Alex

We can reproduce the issue.

Issue: Forwarding a "foreign" mail to another mail hoster (gmail) sent an empty E-Mail (empty header / empty body)

Following steps taken:

- Disable ESET Addin in Outlook --> worked

- Disabled MAil Filter --> did not work

- Disabled Mail & Spam detection --> worked

- Disabled Spam detection --> did not work 

- Disabled "add recipient from outgoing address" worked fine

We do have DKIM & S/MIME enabled in our environment

Thoughts:

- maybe a DKIM isse (or in relation with S/MIME)  - there might be a header mismatch regarding FROM receipient ?

- ESET detects signatures as "malicious" and removes them

- no possible way of debugging (debug log?) within eset of what exactly happens here