ERA agent SSL initialization failed

Maxim.

One of PC with Ubuntu 16.04 is offline for some time in ERA console, I've looked through logs and last error in logs is "Service" "SSL initialization failed".

Any clues what had happened?

• ESET Staff

Could you please provide more details, i.e. whole trace log line? ERA Agent uses OpenSSL libraries (especially libcrypto.so) and it does not work correctly with version 1.1.* and newer. In case you installed such version, it is possible that it has priority before older version... could you verify installed openssl version(s)?

16 hours ago, MartinK said:

Could you please provide more details, i.e. whole trace log line? ERA Agent uses OpenSSL libraries (especially libcrypto.so) and it does not work correctly with version 1.1.* and newer. In case you installed such version, it is possible that it has priority before older version... could you verify installed openssl version(s)?

1.0.2g, I'll send trace log file to you by direct message.

• ESET Staff

Unfortunately trace.log did not provide any more details. Could you please provide output of commands (executed in root terminal, i.e. after sudo su)

openssl version
locate libcryto
dpkg -l | grep -e "openssl"

Any chance there were system configuration changes on 15th December, for example system update? Seems that it worked correctly (problem with this library would most probably result in runtime errors) until it was started on 18th December (after weekend).

As a last resort, capturing "strace" report of AGENT startup may help. Technically you have to perform following steps:

sudo su
cd /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
service eraagent stop
strace -t -s 2048 -o /tmp/eraagent_strace.txt ./ERAAgent

where file /tmp/eraagent_strace.txt will contain required log -> please send it to me via PM as it may contain sensitive information. Also please check that ERAAgent will actually fail with the same error, because there is a chance that when executed manually from terminal, it will work because of different environment as when executed as daemon.