Endpoint Security 6.6 - Modules Update Failed

Hi

Upgraded Endpoint Security to version 6.6 on Windows 10 Enterprise (1703) clients.  Clients are unable to update modules, failing with warning:

Modules Update Failed, File not found on server.

Capture.PNG

• Administrators

Do you update from ESET's servers? If so, do you connect via HTTP Proxy? Or you update from a mirror? If from a mirror, is the mirror created by Endpoint v6.6? Older products don't support creation of a mirror for Endpoint v6.6.

4 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Do you update from ESET's servers? If so, do you connect via HTTP Proxy? Or you update from a mirror? If from a mirror, is the mirror created by Endpoint v6.6? Older products don't support creation of a mirror for Endpoint v6.6.

From ESET Servers using HTTP Proxy with mode 'Use global proxy server settings' selected.  We are not using a mirror.

• Administrators

Please enable advanced update engine logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics and run manual update. Then collect logs with ELC. When done, upload the generated archive to a safe location and pm me a download link. Alternatively you could attach just the updater*.etl log created in the Diagnostics folder.

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, kkthnxbb said:

Got the same problem. We are using mirror method.

The mirror must be created with Endpoint v6.6 since older products do not support EPv6.6-compatible mirror. The mirror tool with support for Endpoint v6.6 is in the works and will take some time until it becomes available. We strongly recommend utilizing an http proxy to cache installers and update files instead of using mirror.

15 hours ago, Marcos said:

The mirror must be created with Endpoint v6.6 since older products do not support EPv6.6-compatible mirror. The mirror tool with support for Endpoint v6.6 is in the works and will take some time until it becomes available. We strongly recommend utilizing an http proxy to cache installers and update files instead of using mirror.

Thanks for reply, will try to use http proxy solution.

Hi @Marcos,

I'll need to swap my infrastructure from mirror to http proxy solution if I want to upgrade the clients to 6.6 version?

My current infrastructure is working very well with mirrors as I have 6 location around the world and the era6-mainserver is connected to take updates from internet and is set as mirror for proxy locations. Also my era6-proxyservers are set as local mirror for each location computers.

Thanks

• Administrators

Endpoint v6.6.uses a new format of modules to substantially reduce memory consumption and improve performance. Currently only another Endpoint v6.6 can create a compatible mirror. We plan to update the commandline mirror tool so that it can create compatible mirror but it will take some time. Server products v7+ will be able to create a mirror for EPv6.6 but it will not be compatible with older versions.

Thank you,  the current mirror is created since version 6.1 from Eset File Security (From Advance setup - Update - Profiles - Mirror - Create update mirror)  on each era6proxy server which is used as update server for local computers from each location.

I didn't used commandline mirror tool. Is it ok my setup?

Thanks

• Administrators

Yes, but as I wrote, older products will not be able to create a mirror compatible with Endpoint v6.6 and newer. An updated version of the command line Mirror tool will support mirror for Endpoint v6.6+ but it's not available yet. Currently only Endpoint 6.6 can create a mirror from which other computers with Endpoint 6.6 can update. If possible, use an http proxy to cache update files which will also save a lot of traffic compared to using a mirror which downloads quite many often unneeded update files with each update.

If you must update from a mirror for whatever reason and http proxy nor creating mirror with Endpoint 6.6 is not an option, wait with upgrade to Endpoint 6.6 at least until an updated version of the Mirror tool is available.

On 8/25/2017 at 4:51 PM, Marcos said:

Please enable advanced update engine logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics and run manual update. Then collect logs with ELC. When done, upload the generated archive to a safe location and pm me a download link. Alternatively you could attach just the updater*.etl log created in the Diagnostics folder.

Hi @Marcos

Apologies for not getting back in touch before now.  Update failures were temporary - all updates started coming through fine shortly after posting last week.  Thanks for the quick replies - much appreciated.

Hi,

if I update my mirror to Endpoint 6.6 (it is my ERA server), the new 6.6 clients will get their updates from there correctly. Ok, but do all my other clients with client version 6.5 receiving the updates still in the right way? I do not want to make experiments :)

Thanks

• Administrators

No. A mirror created by Endpoint 6.6 is compatible only with Endpoint 6.6 and newer versions as well as with future v7 server products.

I have a lot of clients without an internet connection. So I need to update the endpoint product by mirror. How should I proceed to change endpoint to the new version without updating all of my clients in one rush? Do you have an idea?

Thanks

We have installed Endpoint Security  version 6.6.2046.0 on Windows 10.0.15063
pro (1703) client.  Clients are unable to update modules, failing with
warning:

Modules Update Failed, Update information is not consistent.

Also attached snap of the error & log files as well.

ees_logs.zip

Module Update failed.jpg

updater_20170909_142954.rar

• Administrators
3 hours ago, anandm279 said:

We have installed Endpoint Security  version 6.6.2046.0 on Windows 10.0.15063
pro (1703) client.  Clients are unable to update modules, failing with
warning:

Modules Update Failed, Update information is not consistent.

Also attached snap of the error & log files as well.

Probably a problem with the proxy (192.168.240.5:3128). I'd need a Wireshark pcap log from an update attempt for investigation (ideally 2 aligned pcap logs from the same time, one from the proxy and the other from the client). Did you try to update directly from ESET's servers?

Windows 10 or Windows 7 and Apache Proxy for clients and agents. Config done according to your guides.

Everything updated to newest versions!

The same problem in our network. Modules update failed.

I tested two diffrent http proxies one on windows and now on  linux.

Some clients have access to internet some dont have access, does not matter, updates are not working.

I'm also getting this warning and corresponding error emails repeatedly from most clients since updating from 6.5.2107.1 to 6.6.2046.0 last night. I am set up to use a http proxy (my ERA server) which is different from a mirror, right?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, John.From.VT said:

I am set up to use a http proxy (my ERA server) which is different from a mirror, right?

That's correct. Please enable advanced update engine logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics. Then run manual update, disable logging and post the updater*.etl log from Diagnostics folder.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, Marcos said:

That's correct. Please enable advanced update engine logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics. Then run manual update, disable logging and post the updater*.etl log from Diagnostics folder.

I enabled the update engine logging and waited for a client to throw the error automatically. Attached is the updater.etl log.

Edited by John.From.VT

• 1 month later...

We had this when updating a v5 client to v6 using the All-in-One installer - I couldn't uninstall the v5 client, so just updated it with v6.

What I think happened is that the v6 client was using v5's policy, so got confused. ESET support said to (on the v6 client) go to Setup > Advanced Setup (bottom right). Then click "Default" to restore the default settings, and OK. This fixed it for me.