computer freeze

Maxx2777

Wondering if anyone has info on, or has had instances of computer freezes, and any connection to DESlock or Endpoint Security.  We have 4 laptops that are locking up.  It seems to occur when the user has been away for "a while".  The mouse/keyboard is not responsive so a hard shut down must be done.  The laptops are three HPs, and one Lenovo.  DESlock client versions are 4.8.16 & 4.8.17.  Endpoint version is 6.5.2094.  Our desktops all run Endpoint Security also, with no freezes.  Desktops do not run DESlock.  All run Win 7 Pro.  Thanks.

Edited by Maxx2777
grammar

• ESET Staff

Hello, I would recommend to create a customer care ticket with your local support representative. As for freezes, extensive set of logs are required. Maybe @Marcos could provide more information about how to get the memory dump.

• Administrators

If you are able to reproduce the "freeze", I'd suggest configuring Windows to generate complete memory dumps (see http://support.eset.com/kb380), restarting the computer and, if the system freezes, manually trigger a crash as per the instructions in the KB article.

After rebooting the computer, compress the dump and supply it to customer care. I would be grateful if you drop me a pm with a download link as well as I could check it out quicker.

No solution yet.  Support is currently looking at logs of an affected computer.  This computer has locked with .16 deslock encryption client installed, and also with Idle-state scanning disabled.  I now have decrypted and uninstalled deslock as a test.

i noticed that there is a post that states that .17 & 2.9.0 server have been rolled back.  If we now have no clients running .17, does that mean you do not have to roll back server to 2.8.0, or should you also roll server back?

• 2 weeks later...

update:  at this point Idle-State scanning via Endpoint Security is suspected of being the culprit; the only affected machines are ones with ssd's; not sure what the variable is there; we have moved all affected machines to a new "NO Idle-State scanning" policy, and so far no machines have had the lock-up issue; please feel free to move this topic to the Endpoint forum if need be; i will update this topic with the final word once it has been determined; 

Edited by Maxx2777

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting on the final word from Support on what to do, or what may ESET may want to do going forward, but as stated before, no freezes after moving affected machines to a NO idle-state scanning policy;  again is only affecting laptops with ssds, not desktops with ssds; chipset issue?