ERA - Policies vs Configuration?

Hi,

I've only recently started exploring Policies and I'm finding them confusing and too restrictive. Am I missing the point, or is there another way to set configuration for Endpoint Security & Antivirus products using ERA 6.5 but in such a way that I also allow local changes to be made as well. Currently if I set anything via the Policy (say a rule to allow Skype through the firewall - although why this doesn't just work out of the box is beyond me!), that also locks the firewall so that the user can add their own exceptions. 

What I want to do is set a sensible set of default values for various features, but also for some of them still allow the user to over-ride this setting if needed.

Is there another way to do this, or is it really all or nothing (locked or not-set-at-all)?

Thanks

Mike

• ESET Staff

As of now, it is all or nothing. You cal alternatively configure settings via policy, which you would then de-apply, meaning the values would become read-write on the client. We are planning to implement local lists in V7, that is planned for Q1/2018

Edited by MichalJ

Thanks for the help!

Do you mean I create two policies:

• One to send the settings I want (but which unfortunately locks those settings from being changed)
  • A second less restrictive policy which I then apply afterwards which leaves the things I set in the first policy in place, but then allows local editing

Is that what you mean?

If so, do the two policies have to be manually set to the first policy, then after it has applied manually remove it switched to the second policy? (Or, can I apply both at once using the policy order to set and then unlock?)

Also, in the old days there were config files (possibly .xml files? but I forget now) that you could apply to configure a client with sensible defaults, but I can't find this any more... presumably these were dropped? Or am I just missing something?

Mike