ESS V7 causing issues with SteelSeries sensei mouse

Yesterday i installed ESS v7 over the existing version 6, the installation completed without any obvious issues, But  after a short time i because aware of issues with SSL & firefox 24 (getting the error message that the root cert can't be added to browsers) but the cert was already added to firefox , and my mouse disconnecting for no apparent reason  whilst browsing

So i decided i would try a clean install, i ran the uninstaller via windows control pannel  rebooted into safe mode ran the eset uninstaller tool, x2 which successfully completed, rebooted again, found several folders within app data and local (documents &settings  deleated those, ran a registery cleaner,  Then downloaded the offline V7 installer  ran the installer, configured ess v7

And the ssl was at first very buggy, there was a long delay before the pop up cert message appeared, and also longer before some permissions popped up for firefox plugin container, to access the internet (i set the firewall to interactive,and always have)

Also eset was blocking the java web site verifing my java install was working, After a bit of  disabling/enabling off SSL scanning ssl cert scanning is working partially, anything mozilla still will not connect if you select yes always, infact selecting just yes will also cause  ff updater  check, addons updater and even plugin check to all fail ,so they didn't fix that problem,

But more of a concern for me is the problem with my mouse, it will randomly disconnect ,sometimes it will re connect by it's self other times i have to unplug it ,wait for the notification usb sound  and plug it in again , Before i installed V7 my mouse worked without issues, Also the key bindings on one of my games  no longer recognises 2 of the side mouse buttons , so there must be some sort of conflict perhaps with the mouse driver software steelseries engine, i have excluded this from the realtime protection and the mouse But it's made no difference , any ideas wellcome, although it maybe a case of contacting support ,or reverting back to V6 nothing new there then,for me

• Administrators

As for the SSL issue, was Firefox not running at the time you enabled SSL scanning in v7? Do you use a x86 version of Firefox 24?

Does the following procedure resolve the issue?

- close Firefox (make sure firefox.exe is not among running processes)

- disable SSL scanning in v7 and confirm it by clicking OK

- enable SSL scanning

- start Firefox

Regarding the problem with your mouse, please provide us with a link to the vendor's website with more information about this particular model. Do you have Device control integration disabled? Does disabling HIPS and restarting the computer make a difference?

The issue i had with the SSL error "can't install root cert to known browsers" even though it was actually in FF 24 list of certs ect,  This would still pop up when FF and associated processes where not running , i tried the  suggestion you gave above  which still gave the same error, and also manually importing the SSL root cert ,both options didn't work,  So i un installed  ess v7 and did a clean install  which is where i am now,

And although the previous root cert error is not present there is often a delay in the SSL pop up from secure web sites,( add or exclude to trusted certs) as well as a long delay of the pop up that the firewall will generate  when a program needs to access the internet for the 1st time in particular firefox related connections, which the permissions box appeared several minutes later and after i had closed ff  FF 24 is x86 (32bit ) same as the OS Win XPSP3

The device integration so far has been left as per default un selected as i currently don't use any external hdd or flash drives

Here is a link to steelseries.com

hxxp://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei And the software it needs hxxp://cdn-co.steelseries.com/downloads/drivers/engine/SteelSeriesEngine_2.8.0059_1.exe Which is the newest version i have version 2.7.3047 with fw 246 on the mouse , I didn't upgrade as there was no point  as  the only thing changed was profiles for games i don't have or want and added support for other devices

When the mouse disconnects and doesn't  re connect the led display underneath is not illuminated , But it hasn't disconnected  for several hours  like i said it's random ,and i can't find a definite trigger for it, In the one of the exclusions  menus ess v7 lists a tree view of  what is connected to the usb ports  it names the mouse as a composite device which i have set to be excluded from detection

I have as yet not tried with hips disabled, but i shall if it disconnects my mouse again interestingly i  don't think hips is showing changes made by software  pop ups (set to learning mode ) but there are a few apps in the hips log

Just an update, eset caused the mouse to become disconnected /no power , So i following a reboot have HIPS disabled, will report back in 24hrs  with the results

Edited by tommy456

Well after a lot more testing  i decided to install the latest steelseries engine/driver software and upgrade the mouse firmware, which had no effect, As a last resort i un installed the steel-series software and so far no usb disconnects with windows saying it suddenly is unable to recognise the device , but un plug it and plug it in again works again,??? So my conclusion is that there is possibly some software conflict going on either with windows O/S or Eset

Well after a lot more  agro, i found a similar case with the same mouse  on the usa Amazon .com   mouse disconnecting/reconnecting and becoming unrecognised by windows ,So it may have been a co incidence that it started showing this fault  following the install of eset v7 , the mouse has it's own CPU 

But there are some serious issues with SSL anything that is  marked as a browser/email client  with SSL set to on will not connect to a site using ssl this forum included, eset v7 simply fails to  generate the ssl cert pop up prompt  to trust or exclude a web site/domain  without this  the web site's response is blocked by the dumb  eset v7 So is there any proper fix for this ?

• Administrators

As for the SSL issue, couldn't it be that you also have another browser or email client installed besides Firefox? For instance, the error message you mentioned occurs if the latest version of Thundebird is installed. If possible, please provide us with step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the issue with certain https sites. Providing us with a demonstration video would be great.

The current issue with SSL scanning that i have is that after disabling ssl completely  and re enabling it doesn't make any difference   If i kill the eset processes and restart them SSL works again,As if does following a reboot,

but after a while it starts failing  to display pop ups  for certs and for  apps accessing the internet for the first time, what it does is fail to display the  permission pop up straight away (firewall set to interactive) for what ever the app is that is trying to access then net for the first time,

but some minutes/hrs later  when i try to browse a ssl web page that i have not been to before  the permission pop up that failed to display from the previous app will display  but not the ssl cert pop up that is required to access the site,  i can see in the firewall that data from the browser  regardless of which i use  is being sent but no data is received   as it's being blocked  I have clean installed v7 twice now, same issue with ssl and pop ups & firewall permissions

Can they not get ssl protection to work  anymore ? Oh and with  this install  the error i did get  when installing eset root cert is gone ,

Edited by tommy456

• Administrators

Please try to create a demonstration video to illustrate the issues. Alternatively we could connect to your computer remotely and you would show us how the issues manifest.

As for the problem with mouse, couldn't it be related to Windows 8.1 upgrade as mentioned on the following websites?

hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-gaming/stalker-cop-mouse-problem/931e4dd5-bb8e-4740-9024-ae7a6861bbb1

hxxp://blog.gsmarena.com/windows-8-1-may-render-games-unplayable-because-of-mouse-lag/