ESS 10 fwall sucks bad

• ESET Insiders

Hello

I clean installed yesterday eset_smart_security_live_installer_rt_fr, here is my experience

1) without notice all in/outbound connections were blocked (system, ffox, tbird, Steamm etc.), all standard attempts to corrrect that failed, including disabling hips

2) upon restart attempts to connect to MS account at lock screen failed with the message I had to connect to the net and enter a valid pword

3) reimage system partition, same as 2

4) had to go to MS and set new pword

5) restart successful withour ESS 10

My guess is that ESS Fwall is the culprit

My system W 10 x64 pro, no other AV

I suggest the devs think over it.... btw this never happened with the insider Alpha brew.

Edited by yeoldfart

• Administrators

How do you know that ESET's firewall is the culprit? How did you rule out the possibility of a 3rd party application clashing with ESS?

If you suspect the firewall to have blocked the communication, did temporarily disabling the firewall from gui or in advanced setup actually resolve the issue? If not, then it's unlikely to be an issue with ESET's firewall.

If it's only HTTP/HTTPS communication which is blocked, does temporarily disabling protocol filtering make a difference?

• ESET Insiders

It'just my guess as it occurred for the 1t time ever after install of ESS, disabling the whole of ESS protection did not eliminate the bug, I did not try disabling protocol filtering.

I'm scared to be trapped again on installing again ESS 10

btw what about having to change MS account pword ?

Edited by yeoldfart

• ESET Insiders

up !

I'm ready to reinstall ess but can u be explicit about AVOIDING this bug ?

thank you

Edited by yeoldfart

You can try to install Eset SS 10 using the off-line installer. You can download it here: https://www.eset.com/us/home/smart-security/download/ . Click on "advanced download options."

Note: this download is for Smart Security; not Smart Security Premium. So validate which license you have prior to downloading.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

thznk you itman

I have an ESS 10 license, I need french France) language.

seems that your url is  for a live installer only

Edited by yeoldfart

1 hour ago, yeoldfart said:

thznk you itman

I have an ESS 10 license, I need french France) language.

seems that your url is  for a live installer only

Full Offline Installer in French France

https://download.eset.com/com/eset/apps/home/ess/windows/latest/ess_nt64_fra.exe

• ESET Insiders

@ Marcos yes but still only an offline installer

@ amigaman: thank you, I' ll try this one

Edited by yeoldfart

• ESET Insiders

clean reinstalled, a few minutes after reboot, no longer any internet connection, disabled FWall altogether, nochange... made it plain simple: definitely uninstalled the culprit.

btw never had this with the ESS premium beta

• Administrators

What exactly stops working after installing ESS? Are you unable to ping www.eset.com for instance either? Or only HTTP/HTTPS communication doesn't work?

Have you tried resetting TCP/IP? See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility.

I suspect a problem with Eset detecting his network adapter.

Access the Eset GUI and do the following:

Setup -> Network Protection -> Click on Connected Networks -> Click on Network Adapters

Verify that that the data shown matches the PC network adapter, e.g. wireless or Ethernet, you are connecting to the Internet with.

Below is a screen shot of my connection. Note that the network adapter shown on the Connected Networks screen matches that shown in Network Adapters screen:

Eset_Conn_Netwoks.png

• ESET Insiders
On 04/02/2017 at 6:31 PM, Marcos said:

What exactly stops working after installing ESS? Are you unable to ping www.eset.com for instance either? Or only HTTP/HTTPS communication doesn't work?

Have you tried resetting TCP/IP? See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility.

1) internet connection broken a few minutes after clean install

2) yes to no avail

uninstalled ESS10 as by now, using a simple plain AV

You can try what is posted below prior to installing Eset. Install Eset and make sure you reboot.

Also make sure any other security software is fully uninstalled prior to installing Eset. Best way to ensure they are fully uninstalled is to run their respective "cleaner" to ensure all remnants are removed.

Now Run below command one by one [from command prompt window w/admin privileges]:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset

(Watch Video Tutorial of This Solution)

Now Restart your PC. That’s it, now check your Internet connection is working or not. If not working, then try solution 3. back to list

More Chrome specific solutions for this problem from the article the above was extracted from are here: https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-fix-dns_probe_finished_nxdomain-in-chrome/