Internet Security Feedback/Suggestions

• Most Valued Members

I have a few suggestions for Eset, Some I have brought up in the past but thought I'd share them. I have added screenshots to this post to help illustrate my points.

1) The scan results window needs a few improvements.

(A) Firstly, the results only allow you to delete, clean or ignore specific threats. I can understand why this is done for viruses, but as the screenshot shows, it also does this for possible unwanted programs aka pups. The problem is with the ignore option - it only ignores once, meaning the next scan will also bring the same results. At least allow an always ignore option for PUPS. The problem is that some people may use a specific program that's classed as a PUP but need that program. The only way they can get the PUP ignored is to go into the advanced settings and set up an exception through there which is more time consuming and inexperienced users may struggle.

(B) As you can see in the image, not all the information is readable because the window by default is very small and cannot for some reason be enlarged (There is no square in the top right corner). In my screenshot, to get to the specific files you have to go through a few folders meaning the file path is long. This means after every scan I have to drag the sliders about to find out the virus name, which file is being flagged etc. It would be so much easier just to be able to enlarge everything with one click. Basically a way to change the default windows size. I can't be the only one who has this issue with the design.

post-7479-0-95835000-1477590713_thumb.jpg

2) I would love a way to be able to change the options in quick lists menu accessed by right clicking the eset logo in the notification area. For example, being able to have access to the gamer mode from that menu would be handy to gamers. Also I regularly use the firewall troubleshooting wizard, so having access to that quickly would be a bonus.

post-7479-0-76411300-1477591587_thumb.jpg

3) In regards to the Firewall Troubleshooting Wizard, I feel it's slightly buried. I love the feature, because if something gets blocked automatically, rather than having to turn my firewall off, I can simply use the troubleshooter to find out what's getting blocked and unblock it. This is obviously a lot safer than simply disabling the firewall. I think it would make sense to actually have the troubleshooter on the home page, possibly under you are protected as there is a large amount of white space. The idea with this is someone without much knowledge who is having issues will open Eset and instantly see the troubleshooter part. In the screenshot I've pointed a possible location for this - it's very rough so looks bad but with the right designer could work great.

post-7479-0-39456500-1477591586_thumb.jpg

You're not the only one who takes issue with the design 'feature' of windows that cannot be resized to a useful, practical size. However, that kind of nonsense was introduced in ESS9 and ESET took no notice of objections to it then, so there's no reason to assume that they'll value the same kind of feedback for the current software.

• Most Valued Members

You're not the only one who takes issue with the design 'feature' of windows that cannot be resized to a useful, practical size. However, that kind of nonsense was introduced in ESS9 and ESET took no notice of objections to it then, so there's no reason to assume that they'll value the same kind of feedback for the current software.

Bit backwards then. I will try and email this to a member of staff. It just doesn't make sense in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

Sorry for reopening this post but something else I forgot to mention is the very backwards firewall rule area.

Normally as far as I can remember from previous programs I have used, the name in the application area is just the application. Eset adds ""Allow communication for ..." to the start of each application e.g. ""Allow communication for steam, Allow communication for Chrome" etc.

This makes looking through the rules difficult and time consuming, not to mention the fact you also can't organise the rules by name and other ways. Yes there is a search feature if you're looking for a specific rule, but it still makes no sense to me why you can't organise the rules much simpler.