ESS and Windows updates

Hi,

my ESS is reporting there are some Windows updates but after clicking on confirmation button the Windows update window opens, but there are no updates available...why?

• Most Valued Members

are you using Windows 10? it's possible that due to the new Windows Update system that W10 has, those updates will never appear to you, like it did in older Windows versions.

it also might be some drivers for your web camera or printer.

if however you use Windows 10 there is nothing to worry about, all updates are installed automatically.

• ESET Insiders

That has been my experience. Windows 10 will never show you some of the updates, even it ESET does.

I'm not entirely sure but I think that some of these updates can be related to driver updates in windows device manager. Driver that windows update doesn't update automatically or notify about.

I haven't seen this ESET notify in a long time since I expanded every branch in the device manager tree and clicked update drivers and searched for new drivers on every single component in the tree. And there were alot of new drivers even though the windows 10 was fully updated and clean installed recently.

Edited by Ensto

The driver updates in device manager are not very reliable since they come from Windows Update. Most of driver

updates are not needed and can cause problems. The ones for Lan, WiFi, Audio and video for stand alone video cards are

usually safe from the vendor. Laptops are a totally different animal. Get them from the manufacturer. Although I have never had a problem with WAN, LAN or Audio (Realtek) from those vendors. I once purchased a driver update program, waste of time and money.