New Eset SS blocking Windows Update?

My CPU is running at 25% on svchost that is responsible for Windows update and Windows update cannot connect. I just got the new version of Eset SS so it seems related to that.

• Stopping windows update service does not stop the CPU running so high
  • I've tried to stop ESET Firewall but this did not help it to connect. Could it be caused by HIPS or some other function of Eset?
  • No other blocking software on the computer

The windows update error is: WindowsUpdate_80080005. I think this just means it cannot connect but there are all sorts of solutions and no clear fix.

It also seemed to affect updating Windows time but no longer an issue now.

Spec

• Windows 7 x64 SP1
  • i5-4690 3.5ghz
  • 8gb ram
  • 220gb SSD with 56gb free
  • 1tb HDD

Have also tried (will update this as I go):

• Fixing windows update using WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab but it did not help
  • Uninstalled Eset and removed all Eset folders also. Reinstalled using latest installer.
Edited by Shardlake

There are known and documented issues with Win Updating on Win 7. It happened to me and many others.

There are two fixes to the problem. Either manually download and apply update KB3161664 or the June rollup update KB3161608 which also includes a fix for the Win Update issue. You will have to do a Win Update from Win 7 to receive KB3161608.

If you haven't been able to download and apply June's Win updates, then KB3161664 has not been installed. Best bet again is to manually download it, install it by running the update, and then proceed to do perform the rest of June's updates via the Win 7 Win update feature.

Edited by itman

This problem has been for me in Windows.  I did try all the methods mentioned on the net.  I have SS 9.0.381.0.  Tried everything I knew, however, today the updates went through with no help from me.  Everything went in and installed. What happened?   KOR-

My pc got progressively worse until I decided to do a full format and reinstall. The problems have no reoccured so far on the nice fresh Windows installation.

Scratch that. After installing all of the windows updates it has started back up again. High CPU usage, can't connect on Windows update. The update which fails is Intel - Other Hardware - Intel® Management Engine Interface.

Edited by Shardlake

Ive had exactly same problem with my win7 x64. High CPU usage (25%) and hangs trying to find updates. Been trying all sorts of patches for weeks.

Now fixed...Yay!

Firstly updated IE to version 11, no change to problem, but then ..

Downloaded KB3161664 as per above comments.

https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=52794

This fixed it. After short delay there were 15 updates waiting.

Thank goodness its fixed.

regards,

JEFF

Ive had exactly same problem with my win7 x64. High CPU usage (25%) and hangs trying to find updates. Been trying all sorts of patches for weeks.

Now fixed...Yay!

Firstly updated IE to version 11, no change to problem, but then ..

Downloaded KB3161664 as per above comments.

https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=52794

This fixed it. After short delay there were 15 updates waiting.

Thank goodness its fixed.

regards,

JEFF

Thanks for the fix will try it later. Since yesterday Windows updates are going through again fine so maybe mine is fixed anyway after the format, unsure.

Edited

This could easily have something to do with the new way the firewall rules seem to work. I seem to be getting a lot more dialogue boxes for firewall rules then before.

Edited by Shardlake

• 1 month later...

when I try this I get a window titled Windows Update Standalone Installer, 'searching for updates on this computer.'

it never goes away and doesn't respond to a click of the Cancel button?

?

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same thing, nonstop  'searching for updates on this computer.'

I read the following and all the comments in the section below it

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/16/windows-10-stop-upgrade/

..and disabled Win updates since I suspect its trying to download win 10 on me. (I let it run all night and came back to find it was still running with 544GB downloaded! Deleted all the temp files with CCleaner)

typed msconfig in the search box. select msconfig.exe.. find services tab, uncheck Windows Update. No more runaway computer fan cranking all day. ;-)