Intel Security Unifier v1.0.0.657 FP

This just got released, upon extracting the ZIP file, NOD32 deletes it saying it's a virus.

See:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25952/eng/SecurityUnifier.zip

Main Page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25952/Intel-Security-Unifier

Intel® Security Unifier utility version 1.0.0.657 enables users to scan their computing devices for the latest security software components available from Intel.

These are the software components included in the utility:

• Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME)
  • Intel® Identity Protection Technology (Intel® IPT)
  • Intel® Dynamic Application Loader (Intel® DAL)
  • Intel® Technology Access (Intel® TA)

This is what is required to install and use the utility:

• A broadband Internet connection is required to use this utility.
  • Operating system requirements for installation: This application installs on Windows* 7, Windows* 8, Windows* 8.1, and Windows® 10.
  • We recommend to perform a Windows update to bring your operating system up to date with the latest .NET.

• Administrators

I've scanned the file but no virus was reported. All I got was a report of a suspicious application (SecurityUnifier.exe - a variant of MSIL/Packed.Confuser.J suspicious application) which is far from the definition of virus or malware per se. If something is suspicious because it was packed or protected using a packer/protector often misused by malware authors to evade detection, don't wonder that it will be reported as suspicious by AV scanners.

You can report it to the ESET Security Research Lab as per the instructions at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb141/.

I've scanned the file but no virus was reported. All I got was a report of a suspicious application (SecurityUnifier.exe - a variant of MSIL/Packed.Confuser.J suspicious application) which is far from the definition of virus or malware per se. If something is suspicious because it was packed or protected using a packer/protector often misused by malware authors to evade detection, don't wonder that it will be reported as suspicious by AV scanners.

You can report it to the ESET Security Research Lab as per the instructions at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb141/.

submitted to ESET