Problem with firefox

I have the latest version of firefox (23.0.1) and sometimes, not always, when I close it a window pops up telling me this:

"One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:

1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or

2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.

As a result, the page may not display correctly."

I did a google search but nothing helped me. Some registry settings like "1200" in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0 are as they should be. I also posted my problem to another forum and they told me that the antivirus is the cause (I didn't tell them which is my antivirus). So, what's wrong?

• ESET Insiders

doctor-z,

Do you have installed Internet Explorer / ActiveX components addin or something like that for Firefox?

Afaik, Firefox does not support activeX natively...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ActiveX

My point is - ESET's program is not causing this error.

Tomo

Edited by PodrskaNORT

doctor-z,

Do you have installed Internet Explorer / ActiveX components addin or something like that for Firefox?

Afaik, Firefox does not support activeX natively...

Extensions installed: Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF 2.0

FireFTP 2.0.16

Plugins installed: Adobe Acrobat 11.0.1.36

AdobeAAMDetect 1.0.0.0

Google Earth Plugin 7.0.2.8415

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.250.17

Java Platform SE 7 U25 10.25.2.17

NVidia 3D Vision 7.17.13.1407

QuickTime Plug-in 7.7.4

Shockwave Flash 11.8.800.94

Shockwave for Director 12.0.3.133

VLC Web Plugin 2.0.6.0

nothing else is installed.

I have also noticed that this message pops up rarely when utorrent's window pops up or closes.

Edited by doctor-z

Help menu > Restart with Add-ons Disabled

Try that and see if you still have the error.

Will need to use it for a while till you see or dont see the error.

Report back findings.

This will eliminate addons as issue or not

As I told you above, this message appeared rarely when utorrent's window popped up or closed. Yesterday utorrent updated itself to beta version 3.3.2 build 30067. Since then, every time pc starts up the above message appears without any action by me.

Well , going forward, anytime i see uTorrent on one of my clients machines, i strip it off.

Its used for downloading yes , but its also used for pirating software from other users via ptp

There are several programs out there that block ptp and block programs like bittorrent , utorrent, azureus/vuze etc.

Try uninstalling that, then uninstalling firefox and reinstalling firefox, and see if your error persists.

Good luck

I just unchecked utorent's startup option and I am running firefox normally (Add-ons enabled) and the message has not appeared since then. I did no unistallation/reinstallation. As the message appeared 99% after closing firefox, can somebody explain me why the message was appearing then? Was utorrent creating problem to firefox? Is that possible?

I reported the issue in the support forum of utorrent and after disabling all advertisement options the problem solved. I still cannot understand why this message appeared when firefox was closing.

Edited by doctor-z