how do I use a new license on v8?

chrcoluk
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I had to get a new license because freeola wouldnt let me renew existing, but I got sent a v9 key not v8 license, is there a way to covert this or use this on v8 please? I am not interested in v9 at this time.

I still have the option directly renewing with eset which is easier but then I would have to chase freeola for a refund.

• Administrators
  • Solution

Your license is valid for any version of the product it was issued for.  For older version, a username and password is included in the registration email as well. If your local distributor did not include your U/P, please contact them.

• ESET Moderators
That is a good point though @chrcoluk, in that our content doesn't specify if you are trying to activate version 8 products. We don't have a converter (afaik) that works backwards, to convert a License Key to U/P. 

Quote:

ESET introduced a new License Key (previously known as Activation Key) that replaces Username/Password license credentials. Therefore you will need to convert your Username/Password credentials here to activate latest ESET products.

This should probably say

ESET introduced a new License Key (previously known as Activation Key) that replaces Username/Password license credentials in version 9 and later products. Therefore you will need to convert your Username/Password credentials here to activate the latest ESET products.

• Administrators

Customer care should be able to provide you with your username and password if it wasn't included in the registration email (in mine it was). Anyways, we're going to upgrade v8 users to v9 some time soon so if you were having some issues with it that hindered you from upgrade let us know.

I hope you add an option to stop v8 users been prompted to use v9.

My issues are I dont like the new UI its too big and slow, and when I used it, it seemed buggy (hips rules corrupted), finally I dont like how it doesnt let you disable https scanning without a warning so my preference is to keep using v8.

Freeola sent me the user/password so I have now extended my license fine.

Can I ask why you doing this but still allow people to use v7 and older? so if I dont upgrade to v9 will v8 still get updates?

Edited by chrcoluk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyways, we're going to upgrade v8 users to v9 some time soon so if you were having some issues with it that hindered you from upgrade let us know.

Automatic update for v8 users?

In my opinion this is not good idea....

One months ago I tried install v9 and...  I back to the v8.

Why?

Because with v9 my system starts 4 minutes! In ''event log'' i see slow down system startup by ekrn.exe (Eset Service).

V9 is the first version, who have this problem. In the past, v5, v6, v7,v8 worked perfectly for me and system starts very fast.

Windows 7 64bit.

Edited by Piotrek