Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDude

After Upgrade to Version 9 Smartermail and WP-Admin blocked

Recommended Posts

After upgrading from version 8 to version 9: I have seen an issue where any website running Smartermail will not load. I have tested this in Chrome, IE, Firefox. I have witnessed the same issue on 9 computers at 4 different locations. The versions have ranged from 9.0.349.0 - 9.0.375.0. I have seen this on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The workaround is to add the IP address of the website under SETUP > ADVANCED SETUP > WEB and EMAIL > PROTOCOL FILTERING > Excluded IP addresses.

If you want to test to see if you have this problem you can try to load mail.smartertools.com

I have also had the same problem with Wordpress administration. The Wordpress websites load fine unless you try to access the admin login page. If you have a Wordpress site you can test by trying to login.

I'm curious if anyone else can reproduce this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried to reproduce it with v9 (default settings) on Windows 10 and IE to no avail. Does temporarily disabling SSL filtering make a difference?

Please enable advanced protocol filtering logging in the advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics. Then reproduce the issue. When done, stop logging and provide me with the log.

Note that in v8 SSL scanning was disabled by default which is probably why you hadn't encountered the issue until you upgraded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Marcos, With SSL filtering disabled the sites work if accessed by the https URL. But they still don't work for http.

I did just receive a message from ESET support that "Our developers are aware of the issue and are currently working on a fix."

I had originally opened a case but the reply was just, until today, that they would pass the information on.

I'll post back if/when I see the issue resolved. Thank you for your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Marcos, With SSL filtering disabled the sites work if accessed by the https URL. But they still don't work for http.

 

 Thanks a lot for this!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please try switching to pre-release updates which should fix the issue. Also make sure that SSL/TLS scanning is enabled, otherwise ESET won't scan files and email downloaded via HTTPS or IMAPS/POP3S or block malicious https websites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enabled pre-release updates. Updated to 13293P. This appeared to resolve the issue until a Windows reboot. At that point I had slow or no network throughput. Web pages would not load and ping was 500ms-3000ms if it didn't just time out.

 

Pinging 38.90.226.39 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Reply from 38.90.226.39: bytes=32 time=3037ms TTL=54
Reply from 38.90.226.39: bytes=32 time=577ms TTL=54
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 38.90.226.39:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 577ms, Maximum = 3037ms, Average = 1807ms
 
I had to uninstall NOD32 and reboot. Once reinstalled and updated to latest definitions, I was back to the original problem. Once again I updated to pre-release. I could then access the problem websites until I restarted Windows again. Then I was right back to time-outs and 3000ms ping times to yahoo.com and ESET.
I removed and reinstalled and have now excluded the sites I need to access once again under protocol filtering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's odd. Protocol filtering has no effect on ICMP protocol so it should affect the latency whatsoever. I'll ask our engineers about their opinion on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's odd. Protocol filtering has no effect on ICMP protocol so it should affect the latency whatsoever. I'll ask our engineers about their opinion on that.

I'm not sure the 2 problems were related. The strange thing is that before a reboot, the protocol filtering problem seemed to be resolved with the pre-release update. But the new problem would show up after a reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

That's odd. Protocol filtering has no effect on ICMP protocol so it should affect the latency whatsoever. I'll ask our engineers about their opinion on that.

I'm not sure the 2 problems were related. The strange thing is that before a reboot, the protocol filtering problem seemed to be resolved with the pre-release update. But the new problem would show up after a reboot.

 

 

We suspect there could be another WFP filter that clashes with ESET's one. Please collect logs using ESET Log Collector as per the instructions at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3466/ and pm me the output.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This issue appears to be resolved. Signature DB 13309 (20160409). I have tested 3 SmarterMail websites and a Wordpress admin page on 2 computers that had the problem. I rebooted just to be sure. I also noticed that a message now pops up if you go to a website that the IP had been excluded from checking.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...