Jump to content

ESS & PopPeeper - need help determining what's causing problems


Recommended Posts

Good afternoon,

     I have been using ESS v9.0.349.0 for over a month now & I've not experienced the problem described below until March 15th, and would appreciate help in determining  WHAT the problem is and how it can be resolved.

[Running Win 7 Home Premium, x64.  I initially used ESS with most of the default settings it came with, except putting the Firewall into Learning Mode for 2 weeks, then  changed it to "Automatic Mode".  HIPS has been in 'Smart Mode' at all times.  Anti-spam, Parental Controls, and the Banking & Payments module are not enabled].

Description of problem:

My problem concerns ESS & PopPeeper, an email notification and retrieval application.  The program is used offline and it regularly checks the email accounts I have (at preset time intervals) for any new incoming messages.  It will download any such messages from an account and alert me.  I can then read the email, send replies, etc. -  all within the program itself without the need to log-in to the email account on-line.  My email accounts/protocols are set up as follows:

 

Cox Communications (my ISP);  5 IMAP accounts, 1 POP3 account.

Gmail1 IMAP account.

Hotmail/Outlook3 IMAP accounts.

Yahoo (free)1 IMAP account & 1 (Webmail) account.

PopPeeper Forums RSS feed account.

Until March 15th, PoPPeeper and ESS worked well together.  For reasons unknown, PoPPeeper has suddenly become unable to connect to servers & retrieve messages from any of the 10 email accounts which use the IMAP protocol.  (PopPeeper IS able to connect with and retrieve messages from, the Cox POP3 account, the Yahoo Webmail account, and the PopPeeper Forums RSS feed). 

[NOTE:  I can log-in to all accounts via my browser without any problems].

 

Shown below are some of the error messages being seen (shown in red font):

--- Error ---
Cox (Account 1) [1000: IMAP] ['imap.cox.net' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp.cox.net' (587) SSL: 2]
  Server unexpectedly disconnected (Server said BYE: Connection idle for too long)

Cox (Account 2) [1000: IMAP] ['imap.cox.net' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp.cox.net' (587) SSL: 2]
  SSL connection failed

Cox (Account 3) [1000: IMAP] ['imap.cox.net' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp.cox.net' (587) SSL: 2]
  Server unexpectedly disconnected (Server said BYE: Connection idle for too long)

Cox (Account 4) [1000: IMAP] ['imap.cox.net' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp.cox.net' (587) SSL: 2]
  SSL connection failed

Cox (Account 5) [1000: IMAP] ['imap.cox.net' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp.cox.net' (587) SSL: 2]
  Server unexpectedly disconnected (Server said BYE: Connection idle for too long)

Gmail (Account 1) [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (587) SSL: 2]
  SSL connection failed

Live (Account 1) [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
  Timed Out

Outlook (Account 2) [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
  Error (Send)

Outlook (Account 3) [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
  SSL connection failed

Yahoo (Account 1) [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
  Server unexpectedly disconnected (Server said BYE: Autologout timer; idle for too long)

I have discussed this issue with Jeff ***, the software developer and PopPeeper Forum Admin.  (I volunteer my time there as a Global Moderator).

Jeff did not see any problem with the PopPeeper program, but given that I have only been using ESS for just over a month......he feels the sudden appearance of continual error messages when PopPeeper tries to connect to the servers for the IMAP email accounts I have, is most likely the result of some settings within ESS that need adjusting.

I have no idea of how to resolve this problem.  Don't know if I may have inadvertently tweaked some setting(s) in ESS that are causing the problems I mentioned or just what to do.

 

Thank you for your time and any help!

Edited by spc3rd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ken1943,

 

     Thanks very much for the link and info!

 

I believe the problems have been resolved now.  I had completely forgotten about the six ESS configuration exports I've done since I first began using ESS.  The resolution was to import an export file I'd saved back in February.  After doing that, I also restarted my computer.  PopPeeper is now working normally again.  I'm guessing perhaps I'd inadvertently tweaked some setting that caused the problems I reported.

 

(I'll update ESS later this evening).

 

Cheers! :)

Edited by spc3rd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...