Communication with the driver failed. HIPS does not work

sappo

Hi,

We recently upgrade around 25 computers that were running Windows 7 and ESET Nod Antivirus 4.2.76.

They are now running:

Windows 10

ESET Endpoint Antivirus 5.0.2254

The Windows upgrade was done first, followed by the ESET upgrade.  However what we are noticing is that at least a third of the computers keep showing this error via a pop up on their screen when they log in, and also in the ERA Console in the Event Log:

"Communication with the driver failed.  HIPS does not work".

All research I've done on this so far seems to indicate that this error should go away after the first reboot when the new ESET EndPoint Antivirus is installed.  But these computers have been rebooted multiple times since and are still reporting the error every day.

Can anyone suggest what else to try to fix this?  And is it a known issue with this version of ESET EndPoint and Windows 10?

Thanks.

• Administrators

This is most likely caused by the fact that Self-defense in v4 was provided by a separate module whereas in v5 and newer it's provided by HIPS. Instead of changing registry values, I'd recommend uninstalling Endpoint v5 and installing it from scratch. I'd recommend using Endpoint v6 as well as ERA v6 if you manage the computers remotely. Personally I'd also recommend considering upgrade to Endpoint Security which also contains network protection that is capable of blocking malware at network level. For instance, this help prevent encryption of files if other protection layers fail.

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for your reply.  We'll try removal and fresh install of v5 on a couple of the affected machines today and see how we get on.

The company I'm doing this for is currently reluctant to upgrade their ERA to v6, so we are currently limited to v5 of EndPoint Antivirus as the latest version supported by current ERA.  But I'll speak to them again about this.

I'll come back with an update on whether the fresh install makes a difference or not.

Cheers.

• Administrators

It'd be good to know what puts them off upgrading to ERA v6. If it's the complexity / robustness of the new generation of ERA or if they are missing some features.

It's basically just the cost of getting someone to do it for them.  That's the only reason.

I've managed to try two computers.  One was uninstallation of upgraded version that kept generating the error message. And one that was still on the old v4.

Since doing that and fresh installing v5, they both seem to now be clear of that error coming up.  I'll continue to monitor for another day or two, but at this stage it appears like this may be the fix.

thanks.