I'm totally frustrated with ESET: ERA 5.3.33 crashed computers

I'm so angry...

I was working (was) on this weeking deploying ESET Endpoint Antivirus on a company, 15 users.

I've realized before begin that a new ERA server/console version (5.3.33) were available, so I started with that.

Confident that ESET would still support 5.x products due to this new update, I started the process.

Much to my surprise, when I was remotelly installing the Software on the first computers (i've choosed only 3, 'just in case'), ERA crashed on the server, leaving the remote installation on two on the machines incomplete and with an unknown status.

Worst part: now the 2 workstations are totally freeze, not responding even with CTRL+ALT+DEL or any other method. I guess a forced shutdown is required using the power button.

Problem? I'm not at the office and I can't access to these computers until early monday.

One more problem? CEO and CFO notebooks (both company owners) (yes, I know, I should had try with other ones).

I'm so frustrated with ESET products. I don't even know why I'm still recommending and buying it. The 6.x are -still- totally useless and now 5.x, the only choice for stability and usability in the meantime, are not working.

I'm tired of this company using their customers as betatesters. Now I'm don't know what I will do on monday when both 'bosses' will arrive at the office and see their computers crashed.

Jorge.

Edited by joloriquelme

Configuration:

Workstations:

- Windows 7 Pro x64

- Office 2016 Business (last build from current branch, released yesterday, 16.0.6366.2036)

Server:

- Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

- Only ERA 5.3.33 server/client, no antivirus installed

ERA is still indicating that 'installation in progress', version 5.0.2254.1.

Computers totally crashed, tasklist, shutdown -i and any other command not working. I cannot access with TeamViewer, RDP or any other way.

• Administrators

You wrote that "ERA crashed on a server". Did you get an error message when the crash occurred? There a should be a record about the crash in the ERA service in the system event log. If there's no record or error message, how did you find out that the ERAS service crashed? Personally I don't recall a single case when users reported ERAS service crashing.

Also if ERA crashed, it would not affect software installation on clients to such an extent that Endpoint would be left in a non-functional state. During a remote install via ERA v5, either a complete installation package is first pushed to a client and just then started (no further communication with ERAS is performed) or the package is pulled by the client if an upgrade task is run. If the latter, the client would not start installation either if pulling the package failed due to a crash of ERAS. Given that installation actually started on clients, I presume the issue has nothing to do with ERAS crashes.

As for the freezes of the system, they can be caused by not having KB2664888 installed (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2664888). However, when I first ran into these issues on my computer, freezes didn't occur immediately after installation but after a longer time and recurred in reasonably long intervals before I installed the hotfix.

You wrote that "ERA crashed on a server". Did you get an error message when the crash occurred? There a should be a record about the crash in the ERA service in the system event log. If there's no record or error message, how did you find out that the ERAS service crashed? Personally I don't recall a single case when users reported ERAS service crashing.

Also if ERA crashed, it would not affect software installation on clients to such an extent that Endpoint would be left in a non-functional state. During a remote install via ERA v5, either a complete installation package is first pushed to a client and just then started (no further communication with ERAS is performed) or the package is pulled by the client if an upgrade task is run. If the latter, the client would not start installation either if pulling the package failed due to a crash of ERAS. Given that installation actually started on clients, I presume the issue has nothing to do with ERAS crashes.

As for the freezes of the system, they can be caused by not having KB2664888 installed (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2664888). However, when I first ran into these issues on my computer, freezes didn't occur immediately after installation but after a longer time and recurred in reasonably long intervals before I installed the hotfix.

Marcos

The ERAS service didn't crashed. It was the console App that generated an error and closed itself with the classic Windows dialog.

After some tests, I can confirm the issue is related also to KB266488.

When a remote installation are in progress on a machine without this update, ERA Console crashes on the server and the remote machine hangs. That's what happened here.

Updating Windows client with KB266488 the install complete without errors. I applied the Update via GPO on the rest of the network and the remote Endpoint install went fine in the rest of the network computers.

Anyway, the two crashed computers are still inaccesible at this time and I will have to go to the office early tomorrow...

Edited by joloriquelme