NOD32 v6, Windows Defender On or Off?

RNFolsom

In February of this year I acquired a Dell Precision M4700 64-bit laptop running Win7sp1 --- great hardware, seriously incomplete and inaccurate documentation --- which consequently has taken a half year to set up (long boring story, so I won't inflict it on others here).  But during that time I wasn't worried about security because the internet cable was almost always disconnected, and Windows Defender was turned on.

But during the months I spent setting up my M4700, I think I saw somewhere, probably at Wilders, that although the installation warns that before installing NOD32 other antivirus software (from other suppliers such as Symantec or MacAfee) should be uninstalled, that disabling Windows Defender is NOT necessary.

Is that statement true for NOD32 v6, or did my imagination create it?

Of course if disabling Windows Defender before installling NOD32 v6 IS necessary, of course I will do that.

But if it is NOT necessary to disable Windows Defender before installing NOD32 v6:

a) If Defender is disabled before installing NOD32 v6, can it be enabled after NOD32 v6 has been installed?

b) If Defender is NOT disabled before installing NOD32 v6, can it be disabled after NOD32 v6 has been installed?

Does Defender provide any protection that Eset doesn't?  If Defender does not provide any additional protection, then I might as well disable it --- why waste time updating Defender's signatures.  But if Defender provides some extra security, I may want to enable it (if the threats Defender protects against are relevant to me).

I would very much appreciate clarifications of these issues.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Windows Defender is fully compatible with your software.
See article for full details. Additionally, you may turn off Windows Defender functionality if you should choose to do so, but not necessary as they both work well in tandem.

Regards,

See article for full details. Additionally, you may turn off Windows Defender functionality if you should choose to do so, but not necessary as they both work well in tandem.

Regards,

siljaline:

Thanks very much for your response, which gave me information I definitely needed.

FYI or FYAmusement:  I did go to the software link, gave it four stars out of five, and wrote the following requested feedback:

"I would suggest that in addition to saying that "Windows Defender does not contain any antivirus functionality" (which was news to me, but I then confirmed it in several Windows7 books), the article should say that "Windows Defender is only an anti-spware tool."

But since NOD32 includes not only anti-virus but also anti-spyware (at least that has been my understanding), I (and probably others) are not sure whether and how there is any advantage to running two anti-spyware utilities.

I have a lot more confidence in the quality of Eset software than of Microsoft software (which is why I use WordPerfect Office)."

Thanks again.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

But since NOD32 includes not only anti-virus but also anti-spyware (at least that has been my understanding), I (and probably others) are not sure whether and how there is any advantage to running two anti-spyware utilities.

Thanks again.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Yes sure, ESET detect all kinds of malware, viruses, spyware, adware, trojans, worms..................

Regards, sijaline

Unfortunately, the installation of NOD32 v6 does not tell the whole truth.

Today (Friday 02 August), when I was installing NOD32 6.0.316.0 on my new Win7sp1 Dell M4700 laptop, the installation soon stated the following:

"Warning!

"It is urgent that you uninstall any other resident security applications such as antivirus, antispyware or firewall programs that may be running before continuing installation to avoid serious problems."

I strongly think that the NOD32 v6 installation warning should explicitly state that the Windows Defender Anti-Spyware utility is an exception, and need not be disabled (apparently it cannot be uninstalled).  A new user would have no reason to look for and go to the true information --- that NOD32 v6 and Defender do not conflict --- given by the knowledge base article at hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2390&act=RATE&impressions=false&newguid=80180197112208a401403c1cad4a007f26.

Also, whether or not the Win7 Firewall needs to be disabled is not mentioned.  (Being risk averse, I disabled it, and then turned it on again after I had installed NOD32 v6.)

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Edited by RNFolsom

Hello Roger,

I see no reason why we should revert any settings based on what was discussed already. Windows Defender can be left running if you wish.

No exceptions to your firewall should be permitted under any circumstances .

If required restore your firewall settings to defaults.

Regards,

Hello Roger,

I see no reason why we should revert any settings based on what was discussed already. Windows Defender can be left running if you wish.

No exceptions to your firewall should be permitted under any circumstances .

If required restore your firewall settings to defaults.

Regards,

siljaline:

My apologies for not making myself clear.  After I understood Windows Defender's being anti-spyware and anti-nothing-else, I have no wish for Eset to change any settings.  But I do continue to think that NOD32's pre-installation warning --- which now explicitly tells users to uninstall not only any current anti-virus software but also any anti-spyware and any firewall --- should make clear that although other Anti-spyware utilities should be uninstalled, the Windows Defender Anti-spyware is an exception.

And your own "No exceptions to your firewall should be permitted under any circumstances" statement (if you mean that the Windows firewall should not  be temporarily disabled while installing NOD32) is contradicted by the warning.

Here's hoping that I have now made clear that although I was confused when I started this thread (that's why I started it), my concern now is that other new users installing Eset NOD32 v6 (and maybe people installing Smart Security v6, if it has the same warning as in NOD32) should not be mislead by an incomplete installation warning.  I suspect that the current warning is simply boiler plate copied from pre v6 software installed on to older operating systems.  My understanding is that a lot of people (and that's bound to include a lot of Eset users) are still using XP, as they wait for an improved (or at least different) version of Windows8.

Regards to you too!

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

We appreciate you having expressed your additional concerns. I will consult further with ESET Staff or reply to you as an ESET user.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

• 8 months later...

Before installing Eset on my Win 8.1 Toshiba laptop, I uninstalled Norton. I then wondered about Windows Defender so I opened it. WD is disabled, I did not do this, Eset must have as I was getting pop ups from it until the Eset install. Good work, saved me the trouble. 

you should always disable the crappy Windows Defender. Never run 2 security solutions at the same time unless you are asking for trouble and decreased performance.

Windows defender's score:

post-1272-0-91527000-1398294921_thumb.png

Edited by Tweak Arena

Don't forget "Windows Defender" in Windows 8 is actually MSE a completely different program to Windows Defender anti spyware. 

Maybe not everyone is as adept as you at using prior post search features yet. The answer provided should suffice for all intents and purposes.

Hehe maybe so, but actually this one came straight from my internal memory powered by Brain ESET 8.0  ;)