ESET v9 Causes Windows Media Center Issue

Running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit.  Running ESET Smart Security v9.0.318 64-bit.

I have been experiencing several issues with SS v9: momentary computer/program freezes (Chrome, Outlook 2013 etc.) and particularly issues with Windows Media Center.  The main issue is that when selecting Live TV it took around 30 to 50 seconds before the Live TV would begin.  Since going back to SS v8.0.319 I've experienced no freezes and the Live TV feed begins almost immediately.  I am using a Hauppauge Nova-DT Dual DVB-T card.

I've gone back to v8.0.319 and will be sticking with it for now so, unfortunately I'm not able to produce any log files.

• Administrators

We haven't been reported this issue from anyone else so far, hence I'd strongly recommend installing v9 again and troubleshooting the issue with our assistance so that we can pinpoint the issue as soon as possible. To start off, we'll need you to narrow it down to the particular protection module which needs to be disabled for the issue not to occur. In particular:

1, disable real-time protection

2, disable web protection

3, disable protocol filtering in the advanced setup

4, disable firewall

5, disable HIPS and restart the computer

6, rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys in safe mode

7, rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode

After each step, try to reproduce the issue and see if it persists. Once you have narrowed it down, you don't need to continue with further steps.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Marcos. I know it would be helpful to you but I simply don't have the spare time or inclination to reinstall and run through all this and go through protracted exchanges.  As I stated, I have gone back to v8 and all is fine...............and, additionally I can disable modules I don't want and not get the nagging red warning on the System Tray icon.

Edited by Skier

• 1 month later...

I am seeing the same issue as the original poster. Slightly different setup:

• Windows 7
  • Windows Media Center
  • Ceton InfiniTV 6 Ethernet CableCARD Network Tuner
  • NOD32 Antivirus 9

When attempting to tune to a live tv station it will take 50+ seconds for the channel to tune. When NOD32 is disabled, channel tuning takes approximately 5 seconds:

• Disabling Real-time protection fixes the issue. (Tuning to live tv returns to 5s).

Using NOD32's Protection Statistics tool, I was able to monitor what NOD32 was attemping to scan during the 50s tuning and discovered the issue occurs when its scanning specific Windows Media Center temp files with the extension .TmpSBE. If you exclude NOD32 from scanning the file extension "TmpSBE", real-time protection runs without creating issues with live tv tuning:

• Setup > Advanced setup > Real-time file system protection > Threatsense Parameters > Exclusions (File extension excluded from scanning):
  • add > TmpSBE