Client computers with the same name

Go to solution Solved by TomasP,

Hi,

Have a strange behaviour that I can't fix. Have two servers running ESET File Security For Windows

with the same client names "Server01". Only one is listed in Administrator Console and if i refresh

the window I can see the domain tab change between the clients. How can I get both of them to

be in the same system? The setting "Enable mac address renaming (from unknown to valid)" is enabled

and I have the following software versions

ESET Remote Administrator Console (Version 5.2.26)

ESET Remote Administrator Server (Version 5.2.26)

• ESET Staff

Hi @Incabus,

When have duplicate PC on the list of the console, just delete them and you will see them when report again.

In the case you have 2 physical PC with same name and different mac address, I suggest you rename one

of them to easy identification.

Hi @Gonzalo,

Not exactly duplicate PCs in my list as I can only see one and I see that both PCs are fighting to update the same entry. I have tried to delete it and it comes back after a few minutes and with the same result, both PCs are updating the same entry.

Unable to rename the computers as they are both domain controllers and can't be renamed. I have tried to rename the entry in Administrator Console but the other Server01 is not coming up.

The identification is easy as I have made groups but if I can't have two with the same name I'm kind of stuck :(

• ESET Moderators
  • Solution

In the unfortunate situation that you have two machines with the same hostname, I recommend disabling the renaming options in ERA, as they allow for inputs to the same entry when not all the details match (such as IP, MAC address - in case of more network interfaces, etc.)

• ESET Staff

I lack knowledge on Domain controllers but... is so complicated to shutdown 1, rename and power-up with new name doing the same job as before?

I look this thread about that...https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/205867-two-computers-same-name-on-same-domain

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

• ESET Moderators

Domain controllers are being connected to by their hostname, so changing it would break the functioning of the domain, DNS, etc.