Start ESET as Administrator

Hello everyone!

Most of our co-workers use their PC with only User rights, but sometimes we need access to ESET as Administrator. Since ESET starts automatically with Windows, my question is, how can we use the software as Administrator (by entering admin username and password) without having to sign off and sign in as Admin?

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

Open the main setup (F5), navigate to User interface -> Access setup and enable "Require administrator rights" check-box.

What does this do exactly?  Because it sure doesn't work to solve the problem he, and I, have.

I believe Marcos was on the right track with enabling "Require Administrators Rights" in Eset. With that setting enabled, any attempted Eset setting change for a standard user will result in a UAC prompt to enter Admin user id and password. Ref.: hxxp://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/206089-user-account-control-uac-change-prompt-behavior-standard-users.html

Maybe I am missing something here? Hum.....maybe not since it only applies to limited Admin accounts? Strange.

Would not password protecting Eset accomplish the same thing?

Edited by itman

• Administrators

I've tested it on Windows XP. If the option mentioned above is enabled, a standard user is prompted for administrator credentials when attempting to change settings or disable protection which require administrator rights.

Alternatively you can also restart the GUI of ESET (egui.exe) with admin rights, but usually this should only be done for debugging purposes. In any case you should close the egui.exe again after you did everything you wanted to do and restart it in a normal way.

Here you can see video instructions: https://vimeo.com/120283413