Feature Request: Wake On LAN

I believe that ESET should add WOL functionality back to the ERA. This tool was very useful in version 5 and I believe it should be added back to the ERA.

I believe it's still there, just renamed  to the "Send Wake-Up Call" option on the Computer context menu see attached image.

post-7968-0-41378400-1437598836_thumb.png

EDIT

Just had a read of the documentation and it appears the functionality isn't WOL which is a shame.

What I would like is for this to be wrapped up in a task that can be sent to an ERA Proxy server to broadcast on the network as my ERA Server is not on the same network as the devices it manages.  In addition to this it'd be good if the ERA Proxy server could push out the ERA Agent as well.

Edited by ben.white

• Administrators

Wake-up call currently works when agent is within the broadcast (ipv4) or multicast (ipv6) reach. The reason why broadcast is used is that the server does not know agent's IP address when it is not connected. The ip can change when machine goes offline and online, however agent's identification doesn't change. However, you can configure your VLANs to forward broadcasts (that go on a certain destination port) and that port is set in Server Setting under section WakeUp for ipv4 it is 1237 and for ipv6 1238

• 10 months later...

Wake-up call currently works when agent is within the broadcast (ipv4) or multicast (ipv6) reach. The reason why broadcast is used is that the server does not know agent's IP address when it is not connected. The ip can change when machine goes offline and online, however agent's identification doesn't change. However, you can configure your VLANs to forward broadcasts (that go on a certain destination port) and that port is set in Server Setting under section WakeUp for ipv4 it is 1237 and for ipv6 1238

Since cross subnet/VLAN broadcast forwarding is a frowned upon security practice and typically a feature that's not enabled by default on most network equipment, ERA should "proxy" the broadcast to a client/agent that is alive on the WOL target's subnet. I've used several software that does this and it works really well.