What's in backup and updfiles folder?

#:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\backup

#:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\updfiles

What's in these? I am going to assume updfiles is where the updates of the virus database is but the backup folder I am not sure of. Maybe it relates to the Rollback? Pretty large the folders are as well so I'm trying to clean up.

Update: Nvm found out updfiles is where the update cache is and that can be cleared under the update options.

Edited by Morisato

• ESET Moderators

Hello Morisato,

updfiles - it is a cache of downloaded update files, you can clear it (manually or by Clear update cache), but the following update may be larger.

backup - the files for update rollback feature, in case you think you do not need it, you can disable it to save some space.

P.R.

Thanks Peter for the info. Once I disable Rollback, the backup files still remain though unfortunately. Can I delete the whole backup folder as well after disabling the snapshots?

Update: Nvm, works. You can delete the folder and once you press update, it will re-create the backup folder if Rollback is enabled. 29 files for 1 rollback and 39 files for 2 and so on. Increments to about 50mb per rollback number.

Edited by Morisato