New Multi-Thread Scanning needs CPU thottle option

The new multi-threaded scanning uses all CPU cores (including Intel hyper-threads). The result is that a full scan of a large disk for example drives the CPU, energy usage and most of all heat generation to maximum. There appears to be no way to thottle the CPU usage with ESET Smart Security and the manual work-around is to adjust the CPU affinity in the Windows Task Manager which is a transient mitigation which has to be manually reapplied.

I use the Marcium Reflect backup product and they made the same simple mistake when they introduced multi-threading and had to rapdily release a fix with an adjustable slider that allows the user to limit the CPU usage. I suggest ESET consider implementing the same approach.

• Administrators

Please run a manual check for update and upgrade to v18 which runs on-demand scans with a lower priority.

I just updated and now have v18.0.11.0 but the same maxed out CPU usage arises.

I think you misunderstanding the issue which is not ESET 100% CPU usage blocking other applications due to its priority but the usage being driven to 100% for the period of the scan regardless of any other parallel applications. This causes a maxed out power and thermal load on the system which I would prefer not to have.

You would need to provide a slider that limits the number of CPU cores used for the scan to be selected by the user in order to address this issue.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please run a manual check for update and upgrade to v18 which runs on-demand scans with a lower priority.

So does this mean that the tests will take longer for version 18 compared to version 17.2.8.0? With version 17.2.8.0, the in-depth test took me 11 minutes. With the new version 18, should I count on an extension of the test? If that were indeed the case, it's a step backwards in terms of testing speed...

• Administrators
2 hours ago, streeterg said:

I think you misunderstanding the issue which is not ESET 100% CPU usage blocking other applications due to its priority but the usage being driven to 100% for the period of the scan regardless of any other parallel applications. This causes a maxed out power and thermal load on the system which I would prefer not to have.

Some time later there will be a hidden setting which you could then use to limit the number of scan threads.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Fox Mulder said:

So does this mean that the tests will take longer for version 18 compared to version 17.2.8.0? With version 17.2.8.0, the in-depth test took me 11 minutes. With the new version 18, should I count on an extension of the test? If that were indeed the case, it's a step backwards in terms of testing speed...

A scan should take the same amount of time if no other CPU-intensive applications or services are running.