Context menu scanning is broken it looks like

2nd click on an item and none of the ESET context menu items do anything

Full updated Win 11 & updated ESET Internet Security v17

• Administrators

On Windows 11 the shell extender menu is added as an app package using a PowerShell cmdlet Add-AppxPackage. Since further investigation is required, we recommend that you raise a support ticket.

Just now, Marcos said:

On Windows 11 the shell extender menu is added as an app package using a PowerShell cmdlet Add-AppxPackage. Since further investigation is required, we recommend that you raise a support ticket.

It worked in the past, and the context menu items show fine, but look to be all broken

So far they have not wanted to help and actively avoid helping trying to push it to someone else, first email I got from them they failed to read a word of the ticket.

• Administrators
On 6/13/2024 at 7:10 PM, Chas4 said:

Case 00775388

Included logs in the case

I read that you have a general problem opening ESET's gui based on your statement "the ESET GUI does not open at all", right? So it's not just a problem with the context menu when you right click a file.

Egui.exe is running according to the logs. Is it that you are not seeing the ESET icon near the clock? Or when you double click the icon the gui doesn't show up at all?

4 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I read that you have a general problem opening ESET's gui based on your statement "the ESET GUI does not open at all", right? So it's not just a problem with the context menu when you right click a file.

Egui.exe is running according to the logs. Is it that you are not seeing the ESET icon near the clock? Or when you double click the icon the gui doesn't show up at all?

None of the context menu items work, nothing happens when you click any of them, some v17 update or module update broke the context menu code

I can open the ESET gui fine other ways

• Administrators

Did you try turning off integration in the context menu, saving the settings and then turning it on?

image.png

Just now, Marcos said:

Did you try turning off integration in the context menu, saving the settings and then turning it on?

image.png

I did already and nothing changed

• Administrators

Does the problem occur when you select Show more options:

image.png

and then try to run a scan via both options in the menu?

image.png

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Does the problem occur when you select Show more options:

image.png

and then try to run a scan via both options in the menu?

image.png

Those work fine 

You have already done 200 times more troubleshooting than the support team, who wanted to try the nuclear option.

Modern context menu is broken, classic one is not

Edited by Chas4

• Administrators

Please try the nuclear option and uninstall / reinstall ESET since it's the only option that the developers can recommend at this point.

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please try the nuclear option and uninstall / reinstall ESET since it's the only option that the developers can recommend at this point.

Can they double check the code that the modern context menu actions are not commented out or disabled, as I am not the only one seeing this bug?

• Administrators

We were unable to reproduce the issue and it works for us alright. We will welcome if other users share their findings here as well.

If uninstallation and reinstallation does not make any difference, it's likely one of many bugs in this new shell extender menu that Windows 11 has introduced and Microsoft has yet to fix.

6 hours ago, Chas4 said:

Those work fine 

You have already done 200 times more troubleshooting than the support team, who wanted to try the nuclear option.

Modern context menu is broken, classic one is not

That worked for me as well.  The problem might be due to the recent update in Windows 11, I guess.

I test with the same file and notepad worked fine from that menu (notepad is not part of the OS but a Microsoft Store app)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, Chas4 said:

Not fixed in version 17.2.7.0 update

It is unclear where the issue lies. It's very likely a bug in Windows itself as we didn't find anything wrong in the code. There have been several bugs with the new shell extender on Windows 11 already and probably not all have been fixed by Microsoft yet.

6 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It is unclear where the issue lies. It's very likely a bug in Windows itself as we didn't find anything wrong in the code. There have been several bugs with the new shell extender on Windows 11 already and probably not all have been fixed by Microsoft yet.

All the other items in the modern context menu work fine tho

Sent Process Monitor recording to support

• 4 weeks later...

So far support has not done much of anything and ignoring that it is just ESET context menus that are broken in the modern context menu.

Was told  Process Monitor recording failed to capture it and never received instructions on how they want it captured, I asked for instructions for a 2nd time.

Being asked about unrelated things in logs I sent them.

Case 00775388 support has refused to help and called me a liar and lied to me.  I am requesting and escalation since na support refuses to investigate even after sending requested info