Migrate client computers from the old server

Hi ,

I migrate my clients from old server (base on windows) to new server (base on OVA )via this link [KB7710] Migrate managed computers from an existing ESET PROTECT Server to a new ESET PROTECT Server (Windows)

However,in this step, it required the certificate password  -> i have not create the password for Agent certificate ( Eset protect server using OVA appliance).

I tried to use the password console on new server (OVA) but it was incorrect password and i can't migrate my clients.

image.png.94b62f9b075e33858b8a5f87a0a08162.png

Could any please help me on this step ?

• ESET Staff

Not sure I understand properly, but in case you have not selected password during creation of the certificate or you are trying to use certificate created automatically during deployment, password will be most probably empty, which should be accepted when creating configuration policy used for migration. Or is there any indication empty password is not accepted, nor it works properly? In case there is a suspicion password might be wrong, please test migration on specific device just in case configuration won't be working properly, as wrong certificate configuration will result in AGENT not able to communicate with both old and new PROTECT and manual repair will be required.

On 5/23/2024 at 1:31 AM, MartinK said:

Not sure I understand properly, but in case you have not selected password during creation of the certificate or you are trying to use certificate created automatically during deployment, password will be most probably empty, which should be accepted when creating configuration policy used for migration. Or is there any indication empty password is not accepted, nor it works properly? In case there is a suspicion password might be wrong, please test migration on specific device just in case configuration won't be working properly, as wrong certificate configuration will result in AGENT not able to communicate with both old and new PROTECT and manual repair will be required.

Hi @MartinK,

Thanks your reply.

I can explain my scenario :

My old server is based on flatform windows server ( i also setup new server to test)

-The new server install via deploy OVA (rocky) with default config during install.

-After that, i exported the certificates from new server to migrate the clients managed by old server.

-Then i imported the CA certificate to old server, after that i created  the policy to migrate clients to new server with new ip server in server list and change the certificate but it required password for agent certificate.

I sure my old server and new server were not the password for certificate during install. 

This issue , which i have been not seen ever. I not normal with my knowledge. ( i migrated for many customers before).

So now what have i do for investigate this issue ?

Thanks in advanced.

@eornate I have the exact same issue migrating from Windows to Rocky VA. 

image.png.e5a9572c395633ea328078ff52ae228b.png

I will open a case with ESET and report back with the finding. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Dominic said:

@eornate I have the exact same issue migrating from Windows to Rocky VA. 

image.png.e5a9572c395633ea328078ff52ae228b.png

I will open a case with ESET and report back with the finding. 

Still not solution for this.If you have a solution, could you please share with me ?

Edited by eornate

@eornate I've called ESET support and the issue was confirm and escalated. I will get a call from "level 2" tomorrow. 

I will report back with the finding. 

10 hours ago, Dominic said:

@eornate I've called ESET support and the issue was confirm and escalated. I will get a call from "level 2" tomorrow. 

I will report back with the finding. 

Thank you in advanced.

@eornate I get a call with wonderful Robert from ESET and help me getting the migration rolling. I will try to explain the steps the best I can. 

1. Import the CA from the OLD server into the NEW server
    The purpose of this, is to let agent talk with the new server
  2. On the OLD server, create a ESET Management Agent policy and set Settings -> Connection -> Servers to connect to -> Point it to the new server and force the policy (lighting icon)
    image.thumb.png.18a9d29be85c2145105aa5877827ea94.png
    (Robert suggest putting the NEW server first, and the OLD server second. This way you can turn off the new server and the agent will fall back into the OLD server. You can leave only the NEW server if your test group is working)
  3. Assign the policy to a test computer and finish the new policy wizard
  4. Force an update by sending a wake-up call
    image.thumb.png.36e90b9cee8aacbbec4e99586675e7b2.png
  5. You can monitor the progress from this file in a Browser on the test computer
    file:///C:/ProgramData/ESET/RemoteAdministrator/Agent/EraAgentApplicationData/Logs/status.html
    If it's working you should see somewhere Connection: (new server):2222 and the computer should be visible on the NEW server
  6. On the NEW server create a ESET Managemetn Agent policy to update the agent certificate with the one on the NEW server. Settings -> Connection -> Certificate -> Change certificate. Force the policy with the lightning icon.
    (you can use this policy to remove the old server in Edit server list by putting only the NEW server if you want)

If all goes well you test computer should move into the NEW server. 

I hope my explanation will help you on your migration! 

6 hours ago, Dominic said:

@eornate I get a call with wonderful Robert from ESET and help me getting the migration rolling. I will try to explain the steps the best I can. 

1. Import the CA from the OLD server into the NEW server
    The purpose of this, is to let agent talk with the new server
  2. On the OLD server, create a ESET Management Agent policy and set Settings -> Connection -> Servers to connect to -> Point it to the new server and force the policy (lighting icon)
    image.thumb.png.18a9d29be85c2145105aa5877827ea94.png
    (Robert suggest putting the NEW server first, and the OLD server second. This way you can turn off the new server and the agent will fall back into the OLD server. You can leave only the NEW server if your test group is working)
  3. Assign the policy to a test computer and finish the new policy wizard
  4. Force an update by sending a wake-up call
    image.thumb.png.36e90b9cee8aacbbec4e99586675e7b2.png
  5. You can monitor the progress from this file in a Browser on the test computer
    file:///C:/ProgramData/ESET/RemoteAdministrator/Agent/EraAgentApplicationData/Logs/status.html
    If it's working you should see somewhere Connection: (new server):2222 and the computer should be visible on the NEW server
  6. On the NEW server create a ESET Managemetn Agent policy to update the agent certificate with the one on the NEW server. Settings -> Connection -> Certificate -> Change certificate. Force the policy with the lightning icon.
    (you can use this policy to remove the old server in Edit server list by putting only the NEW server if you want)

If all goes well you test computer should move into the NEW server. 

I hope my explanation will help you on your migration! 

Thanks your sharing.