Scan hangs when scanning the registry

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi, 

I have successfully installed eseT Smart Security Premium which came with a Trial License on my Lenovo ThinkPad laptop. However, scan your computer hangs when scanning the system registry. 

Custom scans are completed when scanning Operating memory, Boot sectors/UEFI, WMI database and drive C. But again, a scan of the system registry hangs every time. I have tried running scans as an administrator but the problem remains. 

What am I doing wrong?

• Administrators
  • Solution

How long did you wait for the registry scan to complete? An in-depth scan can take more than 30 minutes.

Scan is once again in progress. It looks like it has hung at the same spot again. I will let it run for an hour and hopefully it completes.

FYI - When I perform a scan, it runs for a minute or so and hangs on the following entry every time:

Detections occurred: 0

\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htafile:FriendlyTypeName

It just sits on this entry for a further 20-30 minutes at which point I gave up.

This laptop is 3 days old, set up from new. Surely it shouldn’t take so long to scan the registry?

The scan completed after exactly 30 minutes. 👍🏻

It's weird because it scans for a minute, hangs at the above registry location for approximately 28 minutes and then starts scanning again for a minute, only then to complete.

I appreciate your fast response though. 👌🏻

Just an update for anyone that comes across this thread... Having just installed eseT Premium on three computers, I can confirm this behaviour was present on all three machines.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, WelshPaul said:

Just an update for anyone that comes across this thread... Having just installed eseT Premium on three computers, I can confirm this behaviour was present on all three machines.

I've scanned the registry as an administrator using Smart scan profile. The scan took 14 min. and 29,000 objects were scanned.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Marcos said:

I've scanned the registry as an administrator using Smart scan profile. The scan took 14 min. and 29,000 objects were scanned.

Yes, scan completes on all three of my machines too. The point I was trying to make was that when I perform a system registry scan, it runs for a minute or so and appears to hang with the following displayed for a an exteneded period of time:

Detections occurred: 0

\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htafile:FriendlyTypeName

It does this on three different machines. Two laptops and a desktop. Leave it run and the scan will complete.

I was just updating the thread to help others that stumble upon it. 🙂

Edited by WelshPaul

• 2 weeks later...

I am seeing the same issue.  Scan runs and after short time hangs for 30+ minutes at: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htafile:FriendlyTypeName hta file in the registry

In addition the timer running also freezes and does not increment.  

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Fredinpa said:

I am seeing the same issue.  Scan runs and after short time hangs for 30+ minutes at: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htafile:FriendlyTypeName hta file in the registry

This is expected. Scanning the registry takes long. The information about the path is informative, it should show the last path that was scanned. Startup scans run after a module update and when the system starts are faster as they scan only autostart registry locations.

4 hours ago, Fredinpa said:

In addition the timer running also freezes and does not increment. 

Please switch to the pre-release update channel in the advanced setup to upgrade your ESET to v17.1.9 which has this fixed.