Ekrn.exe memory leak in ver. 17

Go to solution Solved by itman,

Prior vers. of ESSP always used approx. 40 MB of memory.

Earlier today I check ekrn.exe and it was using 87 MB of memory. Just checked it again and its using 129 MB of memory.

Now I am running Secured Browser in always on mode which I didn't do in the past.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Please provide a screenshot of the application where you are seeing it including the column title, e.g.

image.png

A memory leak occurs if memory consumption continually grows and the unused memory is not freed which doesn't seem to be the case.

• Administrators

Please check Commit size in the Task manager after a reboot and see if it continually grows over time and never drops down even if you quit browsers and other applications and no on-demand scan is run:

image.png

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please check Commit size in the Task manager after a reboot and see if it continually grows over time and never drops down

Did this yesterday and so far haven't seen a problem.

However, ekrn.exe after sytem startup and Eset scan processing completes is using around 100 MB of memory on Win 10 x(64) 22H2 . This is 2.5 times larger than used in Eset versions prior to 17.0.15.

Edited by itman

• Solution

Problem resolved.

I had previously did testing in regards to ver. 17 prior to official release which resulted in my doing multiple ESSP re-installations. I forgot to perform an Eset GUI HIPS "Allow all drivers to load" setting reset to clear all drivers listed. Appears Eset was loading all those drivers into memory for only God knows why.

BTW - this Allow all drivers to load setting never worked right. Per Eset on-line documentation;

Eset_Load.thumb.png.15b5bde53b0a65e1a4f5c05e8ec32e56.png

The driver list is supposed to be empty after Eset installation. In reality, the reverse is the case with the list populated with all existing drivers.

Edited by itman