The game doesn't work after ESET SSP.

Hello. 3-4 months ago I decided to try ESET Smart Security Premium product. I used it for a while and then uninstalled it. While using it, I launched the game "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)", after which ESET LiveGuard proactive protection started analyzing the file "iw5sp.exe" (which is responsible for launching the single-player game) in the cloud. When this analysis finished, the single-player game simply stopped working. At startup I get the following message: "Modern Warfare 3 SP is not correct, please reinstall the game!".

I've tried reinstalling it many times, even replacing the "iw5sp.exe" file with another one from the Internet, and nothing. I've tried reinstalling ESET Smart Security Premium - no help, I've tried uninstalling ESET remnants in safe mode with "ESET Uninstaller" - also no result.
I copied the game from another computer where it worked - that didn't help either.

I turn to you on the forum, since it happened exactly after your antivirus. Can you tell me what I can try to do to restore the single-player mode in the game "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3", which was damaged by your antivirus?

Edited by TheNikita

As far as I remember, the file being analyzed was marked as safe and was unlocked.
By the way, maybe it analyzed not "iw5sp.exe", but the game's launcher itself - "MW3.exe". It was just a few months ago, so I don't remember exactly.
But it doesn't change the essence - the analyzed file was marked as safe and after the analysis the single-player game stopped launching.

ELC_logs.zip

• Administrators

No file was detected and removed. Does pausing protection make a difference? If not, what about temporarily disabling HIPS and rebooting the machine?

• Administrators

Does the problem actually go away after temporarily uninstalling ESET and returns as soon as you install the latest version from scratch with default settings?

Since the file was analyzed in the LiveGuard sandbox, the single-player game has not launched once. With or without ESET installed, an error always appeared.

• Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, TheNikita said:

Since the file was analyzed in the LiveGuard sandbox, the single-player game has not launched once. With or without ESET installed, an error always appeared.

If you have uninstalled eset in safe mode and then completely reinstalled the game from a different source if would appear something else is causing the issue

If for example Eset did change something on that file, redownloading it should fix it but the fact it doesn't makes the think the issue is something else

One possibility here is your Win 10/11 network settings are corrupted.

What I suggest is you first uninstall ESSP in Safe mode. Then uninstall the game. Reboot the PC.

Now in Win 10/11 desktop toolbar search window, type "reset' minus the quote marks. Select "network reset" from the displayed items. At this point the following screen is displayed; Eset_Reset.png.15cd884428cb63a5975419161f9765d7.png

When you mouse click on the Reset now button, Windows will disable your existing network connection for approx. 5 mins. while it totally resets it network processing. Then the PC will auto restart itself with Windows network processing completely reinitialized.

Now install your game. Does it work properly? If not, then the problem is not related to ESSP.

Next, install ESSP. Does the game still work properly? If it does not, the collect Eset logs as @Marcos previously instructed and attach to your next posting.

Edited by itman

Also since this game, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011), is a Win 7 era product, you have to use Win 8.1 graphics card drivers for it to work properly on Win 10;

It works fine on 10, you just have to use 8.1 driver, not default 10, which is incompatibile. I have used 8.1 drivers from 2014 to get it working on my laptop, the newest have failed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/42680/discussions/0/618457398977013522?l=russian#c618458030657355443