ESET creating gigantic files in C:\Windows\Temp of the form htt####.tmp

Go to solution Solved by spatula,

Using ESET Internet Security 16.2.15.0, somewhat often I wake up to my nightly backup complaining that it can't complete, and then I find ESET has created an absolutely enormous tmp file in C:\Windows\tmp with a filename like htt####.tmp.  Reading around, I've found posts indicating that this behavior sometimes happens when streaming content, but I haven't found anything that explains how to make ESET *stop* doing this.

Filling my entire SSD with a 1 TB tmp file because a stream got created is kind of bad behavior, especially if it doesn't get cleaned up when the stream is closed.  It would seem that ESET is already done with the file, because nothing stops me from deleting it - it's not locked or open anyway.

I'd rather just disable whatever "feature" is completely filling my disk until such time as ESET can fix this bug than have it continually wearing out the SSD with temporary junk.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Do you have a video camera that streams via the network or another device or software that streams via http(s)?

I have a camera, though it has not been used in several weeks. I do have a Plex server and a Jellyfin server, though, both of which stream content outbound via http.

I started watching a stream on Jellyfin and immediately I see two htt*.tmp files get created (presumably one for HTTP traffic leaving Jellyfin, and another for HTTP traffic arriving at my browser).  If I disable "HTTP traffic scanning" ESET stops creating these tmp files, but then it complains loudly everywhere.  I don't see a way to exempt just Jellyfin or just Plex from HTTP scanning.  I already added them to the exclusions in the detection engine, but this does not appear to be sufficient.

How do I get ESET to stop filling my hard drive yet still scan http traffic from other sources?

• Solution

Found it.  Two places need updating:

image.png.17b8fcc16612f8ac61a7350372d4b9ea.png

I added Jellyfin and Plex to the list of Excluded Applications, then added 127.0.0.1, ::1, this machine's local LAN IP address, and my public IP address to the list of Excluded IPs so that when I'm streaming to my own devices, either while at home or remotely, ESET won't try to scan my own traffic.

It'll be slightly less secure in the event that some program on this machine goes rogue and starts running a web server, but this is preferable to my SSD filling up all the time.

Since you traced the issue back to Eset HTTP/HTTPS scanning, I would try adding Jellyfin and Plex apps to Eset SSL/TLS scanning exclusions setting the Scan action to "Ignore" per below screen shot;

Eset_SSL.thumb.png.6f6ca9b780ec9029ab70632f21791ce2.png