Potential unsafe application

Go to solution Solved by itman,

I've been using the ESET IS for over a year now, doing in depth scan regularly - was all good 0 detections. Last month I discovered that under advanced options on my pot. unsafe apps. the tick was on off and I turned it on "Balanced". Made a in depth scan and it found couple of detections(to my surprise) which I know that had been installed couple of years ago , I know about the apps clicked ignore. Just wanted to make a double check if it's something new so made a scan again with pot.unsafe apps turned on - 0 detections and made 2nd scan with the pot. unsafe apps on balanced - found the same number of unsafe apps and the little window pop-ed up (the one that asks you for action) "a pot. unsafe app was found in a file that microsoft compatibility telemetry (what is that?) tried to access." This time when I pressed ignore, it didn't accept the command so I pressed couple of times and I think I accidentally put it in quarantine after that I went to quarantine section and restored it( I need it to run certain programs). Im running again the in depth scan to try to press just ignore and to see if its gonna work.

1. Why it did let me ignore it the first time and the 2nd time the command was not accepting the ignore button ? Does it have to do with the microsoft compatibility telemetry ? ( I will try now when the scan is done)

2. If I click on the exclude from detection, will it ESET notice if the app has some modifications in the future and delete potential breach ? 

3. If the ignore button doesn't work again and I put in quarantine , then go to the quarantine section and restore it does it mean the app will be working fine ? ( Sorry might be a bit silly question) 

4. I had this app for over 3 years now, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary like 0 issues. Now that I turned on pot. unsafe app it shows, but pot unwanted app never detected it, if it has some serious concerns shouldn't the pot . unwanted app protection detect it ? 

5. Why the pot. unsafe app was off by default ? 

It appears the Eset scan cache was not cleared when the second on-demand scan was run. This resulted in results from the first scan influencing the detection's from the second scan. Running back to back full on-demand scans is not expected normal scan behavior.

7 hours ago, Tio said:

5. Why the pot. unsafe app was off by default ?

This option detects exactly as stated. These apps are not malware per se, but exhibit undesirable behavior such as scams to purchase unneeded services and the like. Due to the fact users might be using such apps as you are, the option is not enabled by default at installation time.

Edited by itman

2 hours ago, itman said:

It appears the Eset scan cache was not cleared when the second on-demand scan was run. This resulted in results from the first scan influencing the detection's from the second scan. Running back to back full on-demand scans is not expected normal scan behavior.

This option detects exactly as stated. These apps are not malware per se, but exhibit undesirable behavior such as scams to purchase unneeded services and the like. Due to the fact users might be using such apps as you are, the option is not enabled by default at installation time.

Thank you very much for the reply, how often do you suggest an in depth scan should be performed if nothing suspicious happened ? 

• Solution
17 minutes ago, Tio said:

Thank you very much for the reply, how often do you suggest an in depth scan should be performed if nothing suspicious happened ? 

Eset recommends once a month in-depth scan at the minimum. A weekly default Smart scan otherwise should be sufficient;

We recommend that you perform regular (for example once a month) in-depth scans of your system to detect viruses not detected by Real-time file system protection.

https://help.eset.com/ees/10.1/en-US/?idh_page_scan.html

The above stated, Eset's real-time scanning will detect the vast majority of malware upon creation on the local device. Also of note is Eset performs default scheduled scans of known system areas where malware resides at system startup and after Eset update activities.

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

Eset recommends once a month in-depth scan at the minimum. A weekly default Smart scan otherwise should be sufficient;

https://help.eset.com/ees/10.1/en-US/?idh_page_scan.html

The above stated, Eset's real-time scanning will detect the vast majority of malware upon creation on the local device. Also of note is Eset performs default scheduled scans of known system areas where malware resides at system startup and after Eset update activities.

Thank you very much ! Just a quick questions the Scan your computer ( the fast one) says it takes action by itself ? Like if it detects the files as pot. unsafe app will it automatically quarantine them ? Or like the in depth one it waits untill you take the action. As for the ThreatSense I will leave it by default because I have no idea what the disabled ones do my Runtime packers and adnvaced heurisics /dna signature are off, hope its fine ? 

Edited by Tio

1 hour ago, Tio said:

Like if it detects the files as pot. unsafe app will it automatically quarantine them ?

The default cleaning mode for the Smart scan option is shown in the below screen shot. You can change it to whatever you wish;

Eset_Smart.thumb.png.74650ac47089eae3c27aa0bff55d6cdc.png

13 hours ago, itman said:

The default cleaning mode for the Smart scan option is shown in the below screen shot. You can change it to whatever you wish;

Eset_Smart.thumb.png.74650ac47089eae3c27aa0bff55d6cdc.png

Thank you very much Sir !Wish I could buy you a pint :)