Possible Memory Leaking on Scanning

Nagato

Hi, I am using ESET Nod32, I noticed that after scanning my memory usage is super high. I am using a Window 10 desktop with 32G memory, before scanning the memory usage is around 8G, after the sncanning it went up to 18G. I rebooted and tried several times, and this situation can be reproduced after ESET scanning.

On the resource manager and procexp, it doesn't show any specific process used this much memory, so I assume it is related to ESET.

More info:

Device name    DESKTOP-9VCVDRS
Processor    12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700   2.10 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Device ID    B4DFC1B1-0159-490C-8041-E66814B1377D
Product ID    00330-80000-00000-AA738
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Touch support with 10 touch points

And the ESET Nod32 version is 16.2.11.0.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Nagato,

in case of a memory leak in the on-demand scanning, the memory would be allocated by the ESET Service (ekrn.exe), what is the amount of memory allocated by it after the scan completes?

I assume that the large memory allocations might be caused by caching of the files read during the scan by the operating system. There should be no issue with that, as when the memory is needed the content of the cache is released...

Peter

• Administrators

Please provide some screenshots to clarify where you are seeing the allegedly high memory usage by ekrn. Please take a screenshot of the whole tool window that you've used.