Interactive Firewall useless since 16.2

Go to solution Solved by ixtel,

• Administrators
6 hours ago, x7007 said:

When is the fix? it's been 2 months or so.....

If you are having the issue with the latest v16.2.15, can you confirm that it manifests after waking up from sleep mode? Does the issue cease manifesting after disabling Gamer mode?

image.png

it's disabled, always been. issue still exist. my computer never goes to sleep. on 24/7. it still happen

Edited by x7007

• Administrators

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector for a start as well as a dump of ekrn.exe created via advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics -> Create when a communication is blocked and the interactive firewall dialog is supposed to pop up:

image.png

When having issues, we strongly recommend raising a support ticket as well so that the issue is properly tracked.

Probably I've found a temporary solution for firewall rules not working in interactive mode, bug started when executable signature was introduced. I've added the full path to the .exe and set "application signature" to "any or none", now, when the program starts, there are no more prompts.

rule.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Please uninstall ESET 16.2 and install the latest v16.2.15 from scratch with default settings. Then switch the firewall to interactive mode and create rules. If you can reproduce the issue, provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce it. Also please raise a support ticket so that the case is properly tracked in the ticketing system.

I would like to join the club. This new interactive window is useless because gives no info about the connection being established to create a proper rule.

Also in recent versions ESET started blocking connections without any warning or log. You enable firewall no connection, you disable firewall everything works. And no interactive prompt ask for the connection.

So when is ESET going to fix this? 2024?

Or is it a whole new perverted understanding of "interactive mode" that you have to interact with it every day over and over again? Kind of like in the old play "Dinner for one":

"Ma'am, the same procedure as last year?"
"Yes James, the same procedure as every year!"

In this case the same procedure every day. Several times.
My clients and I are getting tired of it.
it also adversely affects my relationship with my clients as I originally had recommended them your product.

If this is not fixed soon then I will advise all my clients to cancel their subscriptions and will implement another product solution.

This whole episode is such a classic textbook study example for which the Germans have a beautiful word concoction: "Verschlimmbessern". To make something that was working worse by improving it until it becomes useless.

Attached video clip is one of many that have to be done every day now without any results unlike before.

This whole industry with its heroine like addiction to updates is becoming increasingly counterproductive!

To "update" means to revise, amend, correct and not to make it worse than it was before!

You want our money, deliver a functioning product! Otherwise you are defrauding us by not delivering the sold and promised functionality.

In other words you are knowingly providing defective services for which you take money. That is defrauding the paying subscriber!

Think "automobile". Would you put up with a car that has everyday several times the same problem requiring repetitively the same routine to continue? Or would go complain to the dealer and manufacturer and eventually, due to their interactions, either go to court or get rid of it and buy another vehicle?

I'm serious this is not fixed soon I will quit the subscriptions and I will install on all my client's computer[s] (and I have plenty of clients) another [competitor] product manufacturers version. I will uninstall and cancel their ESET subscription due to malfunction and potential security breaches and defects!

Has anybody noticed the rather quite evasive and irrelevant answers from the so-called administrator Marcos?

Reading them I get more and more the impression he has no clue and/or is in denial.

On 9/20/2023 at 3:21 PM, Manly Electronics said:

The English word, although not that emotionally charged, is ‘counterproductive’. Imho the better one is is ‘Chalta hai’, a Hindi expression that roughly translates to "it's okay" or "slide" or "slack". It reflects a laid-back attitude towards work and perhaps life itself, when problems are ignored or not sufficiently addressed :).

On 10/27/2023 at 12:03 AM, Enrico said:

Probably I've found a temporary solution for firewall rules not working in interactive mode, bug started when executable signature was introduced. I've added the full path to the .exe and set "application signature" to "any or none", now, when the program starts, there are no more prompts.

rule.jpg

On 9/23/2023 at 12:34 AM, Marcos said:

As for duplicate rules, we were able to reproduce the issue only with certain Lenovo software, not with other applications that we have tried. That said, the issue is somehow application specific and is currently being investigated so that it's fixed in v17. Until the root cause is found, we cannot tell what versions were affected. As for installing v16.1, we don't know yet if it's affected, however, you can uninstall v16.2 and install v16.1 then.

On 9/23/2023 at 12:21 PM, Joe S said:

The bottom line is simple! The "KISS" principal. Keep it simple stupid! ( with or without the comma) you can Google it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

For well over a decade interactive mode worked well and when an app wanted to connect i.e. outbound up and you selected "always block" is accepted and recorded such. Thereafter any app who tried to call out and you had blocked never bothered you again.

NO means NO. always.

Now some genius had tto over engineer something, "Verschlimmbessern" ( you can Google that too) so the family becomes useless!

"The term verschlimmbessern is colloquial, and it is a fusion of verschlimmern (“to make something worse”) and verbessern (“to make something better”). Thus, verschlimmbessern means making something worse while intending to make it better. Man having headache. The term is used in the past tense to describe a situation.almost

So dear ESETonians, "KISS" please!

• 1 month later...

I may have to go back to v16. I am still having issues with v17 and firewall rules. Programs that SHOULD be asking for access permission, aren't and they are not working.

I have been having issues with Parallels Access not working and not requesting permission while the firewall is in Interactive mode. I will check if there is a thread for v17 and this issue.

• Administrators
On 12/21/2023 at 3:46 PM, Jsin said:

I may have to go back to v16. I am still having issues with v17 and firewall rules. Programs that SHOULD be asking for access permission, aren't and they are not working.

I have been having issues with Parallels Access not working and not requesting permission while the firewall is in Interactive mode. I will check if there is a thread for v17 and this issue.

V16 is in limited support until Nov 2024: https://support-eol.eset.com/en/policy_home/product_tables.html

I'd recommend raising a support ticket to find out the root cause. Could you create a dump of ekrn.exe and egui.exe when a communication is blocked and the interactive window is supposed to pop up? Does the issue occur with any application or with a specific one? Note that the interactive window will not appear when running applications in full screen when gamer mode is activated.

Are you able to reproduce it shortly after a reboot?

Last but not least, please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector to check your current configuration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 2:46 PM, Jsin said:

Still on v16.1.41.0 here do due last years major screw-up release of v16.2 and from what im reading has continued over on to v17.  Must be so embarrassing for ESET.  My licence expires in 11 days at this time of writing and I'm not convinced or enticed to renew based on this.

Edited by JWT

12 minutes ago, JWT said:

Still on v16.1.41.0 here do due last years major screw-up release of v16.2 and from what im reading has continued over on to v17.  Must be so embarrassing for ESET.  My licence expires in 11 days at this time of writing and I'm not convinced or enticed to renew based on this.

same issue, though randomly it does work, last game I tried was the crew motorfest through Ubisoft client  and it asked 2 times for permission after each 2 launches, each time was different server of some kind, but then it just worked.

Edited by x7007

• Administrators
6 hours ago, JWT said:

I'm not convinced or enticed to renew based on this.

Please elaborate more on what issues you are having with the interactive mode in v17 with automatic activation of gamer mode disabled:

image.png

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Please elaborate more on what issues you are having with the interactive mode in v17 with automatic activation of gamer mode disabled:

image.png

Please re-read my post and elaborate where I stated I'm using v17 or have any desire to do so?

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, JWT said:

Please re-read my post and elaborate where I stated I'm using v17 or have any desire to do so?

If you want to report a specific issue, please make sure whether it manifests with the latest version (now 17.0.16) and automatic gamer mode activation disabled. If the problem occurs, please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector and step-by-step instructions how to reproduce it. Besides that, please raise a support ticket so that the case is tracked and that you get a response from technical support.

• Administrators

I'm sorry if my instructions were confusing, will try to re-phrase it:

1, Install ESET v17.0.16 from scratch
2, Disable automatic activation of gamer mode for applications running in full-screen mode as shown above
3, Switch to interactive firewall mode and try to reproduce the issue.

If you are able to reproduce it:
1, Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here. Also provide step-by-step instructions how we can reproduce it on our end.
2, Raise a support ticket and supply technical support with ELC logs for a start.

We're willing to help you but need your co-operation.

On 1/1/2024 at 11:37 AM, Marcos said:

I'm sorry if my instructions were confusing, will try to re-phrase it:

1, Install ESET v17.0.16 from scratch
2, Disable automatic activation of gamer mode for applications running in full-screen mode as shown above
3, Switch to interactive firewall mode and try to reproduce the issue.

If you are able to reproduce it:
1, Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here. Also provide step-by-step instructions how we can reproduce it on our end.
2, Raise a support ticket and supply technical support with ESET Log Collector logs for a start.

We're willing to help you but need your co-operation.

Seems I need a large slice of humble pie and I owe Marcos an enormous apology.
I was basing my experience and frustration from v16.2.  Rather than trying v17 I behaved like a child throwing a tantrum trying to get his own way and being uncooperative.

I would like to confirm all is well and working as it should since upgrading to v17.0.16.0.
The update speed and process from V16.1 was as easy as one click and less than 2 minutes, this includes reboot.
No rules or settings were lost or changed.  I'm impressed.

Last but not least I would like to publicly apologise to Marcos for my recent behaviour and immature posts.