ESET Endpoint - VBA - High CPU

Mr.Gains

Good morning,

A client is having issues running their VBA macro in excel. I've tried to run an exclusion for the client to bypass ESET from scanning the file path. Whenever the client runs their VBA macro in excel, ESET consumes 30%+ CPU and excel is running 2% therefore causing the computer to run slow. What can I do to resolve this issue effectively?

ESET Endpoint Security 10.0.2045.0    
ESET Management Agent 10.0.1126.0  

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Does temporarily disabling Secure browser in the advanced setup make a difference?

It's disabled by default

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Enable advanced operating system under Tools -> Diagnostics in the advanced setup
  2. Reproduce the issue
  3. Stop logging
  4. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

• 3 weeks later...

ESET CPU is at 30%+ while running an EXCEL VBA macro that performs formatting.

Today I was running some of the month end reporting and I had some very poor performance.  A local process that used to take 3 to 4 minutes now runs over 25 minutes.  I started the VBA macro at 13:10 today and 9 minutes 41 seconds until starting the first of 4 tasks.  During this time ESET was running at 25% - 32% of CPU.

The first two tasks then took 4:25 minutes run (this is normally 2:30), then another ESET pause of 9:21 at 25% - 32% of CPU, then 0:30 to finish the last two tasks.

This was consistent across 3 runs I made, and I made changes each time to eliminate network issues.

Run 1 – Connected to VPN and actively synchronizing with One Drive

Run 2 – Disconnected from VPN and actively synchronizing with One Drive

Run 3 – Disconnected from VPN and paused synching with One Drive

My laptop is a fairly new Dell Precision 7560 with 64 GB of RAM and a 2.50 gigahertz Intel 11th Gen Core i7-11850H processor with 8 cores.  Last month the process slowed down from ~6 minutes to over 10.  After the upgrade to Windows 11 the process is taking over 21 minutes.  Steve Nelson witnessed ESET running at time over 35% of my CPU before starting to do any of the formatting.  It is taking on average 10 minutes for any formatting work to start on the first set of files, and then it completes all of them in under 4 minutes.  There is then another ~5 minute delay to opening the second file and ~1 minute to complete that.

For comparison purposes, I have a 2018 Dell Latitude E5575 with 8 GB of RAM that completes the first process in 8:45 and the entire job in 9:20.  This laptop is on Windows 10, the latest version of Excel and has Webroot Secure Anywhere for anti-virus.

I also tested on a 2020 Microsoft Surface 3 laptop with 8 GB of RAM and it completed the first process in 10:10 and the entire job in 17:08. This is on Windows 11, has the latest version of Excel and uses Windows Defender for anti-virus.

Excel VBA CPU Usage.png

• Administrators

Does temporarily disabling Banking and payment protection make a difference? If not, what about disabling HIPS and rebooting the machine? Or pausing real-time protection.