Deploy third party software from ESET Protect Console

Panayiotis Zezos

Greetings,

We would like to inform that we are currently utilizing ESET Protect Cloud as our chosen security platform. As part of our operational requirements, it has become necessary to deploy Google Drive to our Windows agents. Upon conducting extensive research, we discovered that the deployment necessitates the utilization of a .msi file format. To achieve this, we employed the services of MSI Wrapper, a freely available tool, to convert the existing .exe file into a suitable .msi format.

Furthermore, it is important to note that we refrained from incorporating any additional parameters during the conversion process. Subsequently, we proceeded to transfer the resulting msi file to a designated folder on our file server. It is worth mentioning that this particular folder does not require any user authentication for accessibility.

To facilitate the installation of the aforementioned file on Windows devices, a task has been generated within the ESET Console, utilizing the following configuration:

file://\this_is_my_fs\GoogleDrive\googledrive.msi

Regrettably, we have encountered an obstacle, as the task is unable to run on the agents. Furthermore, we are currently unable to proceed with the remote deployment.

Thank you for your attention on this matter.

• Administrators

You can use a Run command task to execute installation via msiexec.exe, e.g.

msiexec /i \\this_is_my_fs\GoogleDrive\googledrive.msi /qn /norestart

On 5/26/2023 at 6:38 PM, Marcos said:
msiexec /i \\this_is_my_fs\GoogleDrive\googledrive.msi /qn /norestart

Greetings to everyone, and I appreciate your prompt response.

We have made an attempt to execute the MSI package using the aforementioned command, but it yielded no results.

Within the Application logs, we encountered two entries pertaining to the issue:

Initiating a Windows Installer Transaction: \\this_is_my_fs\GoogleDrive\googledrive.msi Client Process ID: 11960 Concluding a Windows Installer transaction: \\this_is_my_fs\GoogleDrive\googledrive.msi Client Process ID: 11960

Both entries were recorded simultaneously at 11:08:50.

• 4 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff

Be aware that such commands are executed in security context of LOCAL_SYSTEM (i.e. service accounts used to run ESET Management Agent) and thus it might have specific limitations tied to to. For example, such service account might have limited access to the network - especially if domain authentication is used. If this is not the issue, I would recommend to run command also with msiexec logging enabled for further analysis.

• Administrators

You can test it locally by running "psexec -s -i msiexec.exe ...". If it doesn't work due to execution under the local system account, it won't work with the Run command task either.