Installation Ended Prematurely- ESS only- Nod32 installs fine

Working with customer who gets "Installation Ended Prematurely" with ESS only. (NO Rollback- install with live installer or offline installer (V8))) . NoD32 install just fine so there must be something going on with the firewall. Already cleared remains of firewall files with: 

Open Command Prompt
Go to "c:\windows\system32\config\TxR" (or the equivalent location on your PC)
- run "attrib –H –S *" to make all hidden files in the directory visible.
- run "del *.blf"
- run "del *.regtrans-ms"

Go to C:\Windows\system32\SMI\Store\Machine
- run "attrib –H –S *" to make all hidden files in the directory visible.
- run "del *.blf"
- run "del *.regtrans-ms"

Of course ran 2289 and cleared all remains of ESET before install. Also cleared infcache1. Disabled windows adv firewall with netsh command. Also tried install with new admin account and failed. Confirmed no 3rd party filtering drivers on NIC. Disabled non-microsoft processes before install. Even did no-rollback switch in registry on 2nd attempt. Confirmed no 0kb OEM files in windows-inf. re-installed NIC.

Can provide links to logs via PM when requested. Customer is ok having NOD32 for now but would really like to have what he paid for in ESS.

Edited by tmuster2k

On the off chance this helps and the file is available, have them try Live Installer V5.

I've been pulling my hair out for the past five hours trying to upgrade NOD32 V7 to V8 on an XP Pro SP3 machine. Live and offline installers V7 and V8 absolutely refused to work, even after I used the manual uninstaller followed by searching through the registry and my hard drive's file directories and removing every last trace of "ESET" and "NOD32". No luck. As a last resort, I tried an old version of Live Installer V5 for NOD32 that I had hanging around. It worked perfectly and automatically installed NOD32 V8. No clue why it worked but a big relief.

@tkmuster2k

Never heard of the driver before, but it seems to be a part of the firewall.

Here is a kb article about it, maybe this can also resolve the problem:
The 'ESET Personal firewall initialization failed' message is displayed, what should I do?

But it's good that you were able to solve the problem.

@WingsAhoy

Generally I would suggest to uninstall ESET (again) with the ESET Uninstaller in save mode.

Then try the installation again. Maybe also the kb article above or @tmuster2k's solution helps.

@tkmuster2k

Never heard of the driver before, but it seems to be a part of the firewall.

Here is a kb article about it, maybe this can also resolve the problem:

The 'ESET Personal firewall initialization failed' message is displayed, what should I do?

But it's good that you were able to solve the problem.

@WingsAhoy

Generally I would suggest to uninstall ESET (again) with the ESET Uninstaller in save mode.

Then try the installation again. Maybe also the kb article above or @tmuster2k's solution helps.

The ESS install ended premature. I would not be troubleshooting ESET firewall per the KB article if it doesn't exist. hehe.

Okay. Yes the article is not about an installation issue. But about an issue with the driver you mentioned.

And because of the fact that only ESS installation is not working (but NOD32 is fine) it stands to the reason that this have to do something with the firewall.

Oh update. I think I found the really correct kb article. It was not so far away, but it's there:

I receive the message that my ESET installation ended prematurely

Oh, I really like the ESET knowledgebase. You just have to search correctly and you'll find your solution.

But there it indicates that Sirefef could be on the computer, so I would suggest to run a full scan and folow the instructions with the sirefef cleaner.