install error MSI.1923

Go to solution Solved by Stephanec,

Hi,

I try to install "Eset mail security for microsoft exchange server" but the installation ended with an error MSI.1923

The server is an MS server 2012R2 with exchange 2013, pretty old I know :)

Can you help me to diagnose where is the problem ?

In attachement find the logcollector result.

Best regards

Stephane

ELC_logs.zip

• Administrators

Error 1923. The service "ESET Service" (ekrn) could not be installed. Check that your access rights allow you to install system services.

Does the problem persist after removing ESET using the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode?

Hi,

Yes the problem persist.

- I ran the the eset uninstall tool in safe mode to remove the old "Eset mail security for microsoft exchange server". It was 6.5.10019.1

- create the all-in-one installer with eset protect

- install the all-in-one and it ended with the error. I install it as administrator of the server so rights problems should not exists.

- run the log collector

I've done this twice...

Well, I'm in progress.

I ran for the third time th eset uninstall tool and before rebooting in normal mode I checked the services.

I found and eset service still there with in comment : "Failed to read description, error code 2"

I think this is my problem, do you know how I can uninstall this service ?

Regards,

Stephane

• Administrators

If you run the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode several times, does it offer uninstalling ESET each time you run it?

You could delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn in safe mode if the uninstall tool cannot remove it.

Well... I delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn and reboot the server. After that the service was removed.

I install again Eset mail security for microsoft exchange server and this time it wa an error MSI.1920 ;-(

I followed this thread (with some minor differences in the folder path)

And now it tells me I dont have the right to install the service (see attachement)

in the event log its error 11923.

As you imagine I was connected as administrator

It's endless

Capture erreur2.PNG

• Administrators

Are you able to manually create the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn under that administrator account?

Yes, I can manually create the key.

I've done all the process again

- reboot the server in safe mode

- use the eset uninstaller

- check that the service key is removed from the register

- reboot

- try to install the eset server

- again the problem with the eset service.

In services.msc the eset service is there and it try to start c:\program files\eset\eset security\ekrn.exe.

If I right clic on ESET service, all the option "start stop suspend" etc are in grey, I can't clic anything

c:\program files\eset\eset security\ekrn.exe do really exist, if I try to start it manually I've got an error, find it in attachement

Stephane

error ekrn.txt

• Administrators

Please open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor. Developers will need to check a Procmon log from a failed installation as well as ELC logs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi,

I opened a ticket with https://customers.eset-nod32.fr/?esetfr/Tickets/Submit

Quickly after that a technicien from the level one support give me a phone call and try with a teamviewer access to install the antivirus but, he had the same issue as me.

He transferts my ticket to the support level two. They asked me to collect a lot of logs and analyse them. And today they gives me a successful solution. Here is what thy asked me to do :

- open regedit

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

- add or modify a dword key ServicesPipeTimeout

- modify the key as decimal '180000'

- reboot

The key gives more time to the start up service to start.

You can close this thread as solved !

Stephane