Phantom Account

Tony H

I have recently changed from Kaspersky to ESET. About a week after changing a phantom account by the name of Larry Cotter appeared on my laptop. Every time I delete it and log back in it comes back. I've sent the Collector's Log to ESET customer service who say there's nothing wrong there. Obviously I'm now worried someone has access to my laptop. I definitely have not created any phantom account in the anti theft portal.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? 

• Most Valued Members
On 6/8/2022 at 12:14 PM, Tony H said:

I have recently changed from Kaspersky to ESET. About a week after changing a phantom account by the name of Larry Cotter appeared on my laptop. Every time I delete it and log back in it comes back. I've sent the Collector's Log to ESET customer service who say there's nothing wrong there. Obviously I'm now worried someone has access to my laptop. I definitely have not created any phantom account in the anti theft portal.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? 

Do you have phantom account enabled? As my Eset version is on a desktop PC I don't use the anti theft feature but I do know when it is turned on it creates a fake account.

I believe when you mark your laptop as missing and they log into that fake account, eset will be able to get location information and also takes things like screenshots..

I presume if a user thinks they can't get on they will try and wipe the device so this account tricks them and means you can get the location data

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I had faced the same problem , later I had checked and found out that phantom account was created by me when setting up eset for the first time. I suggest you to check eset anti theft portal and check if it shows the phantom account by the same name which shows in your PC as a new user account.