ESET protect Antivirus for m1 Macs

Hey folks,

I am trying to get the ESET Protect client on some Mac end points as a policy from Jamf Pro and am having no luck with the .dmg is the client available as a .pkg file anywhere.   Whenever I push with a package things seem to work out much better thanks

• Administrators

Installers are only available as dmg. As for deployment via Jamf, please refer to https://support.eset.com/en/kb7324. In case of issues,collect logs as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404 and open a ticket with your local ESET distributor.

Thanks for the answer, after I posted this I found the JamfPro Composer utility and was able to convert the .dmg to a .pkg (package) file.  With that done I could push and install of the client.   The eset protect admin agent installed from the start with no issue but it does not talk to our Protect console. So with it not on the console and these being macs I tried just pushing the client.   I used the information from kb7324 to setup the exclusions.   Our eset proctect on premise console runs on linux from the OVA file.   We had eset for a few years but just started working in the last few months.

To be clear when I talk about the protect console it is the eset protect console.   Jamf installs the Eset remote administrator just fine but for some reason the macs with eset protect don't show up on my eset protect console.

Here is a snip from one of the machines.  It is taken from the list of installed programs and is just a the relevant portion.

Dictionary.app 2.3.0 /System/Applications/Dictionary.app No
Digital Color Meter.app 5.22 /System/Applications/Utilities/Digital Color Meter.app No
Disk Utility.app 21.0 /System/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app No
ESET Remote Administrator Agent.app 8.0.3209.0 /Applications/ESET Remote Administrator Agent.app No
FaceTime.app 5.0 /System/Applications/FaceTime.app No
FindMy.app 3.0 /System/Applications/FindMy.app No

>>>

When I try and push the eset client package this what I get.   This is just the .dmg from eset converted to a package using Jamf composer.   I know doing it via the eset console is the preferred method but since that is not working I need to get the end users some protection.

>>>

Executing Policy Deploy Eset Client (Manual)
Downloading eea_osx_en.pkg...
Downloading https://use1-jcds.services.jamfcloud.com//download/ed6cebe71e1442428c3c7510246b8cfc/eea_osx_en.pkg?token=1cd04554c6a24d78a863ee0e228391bbneagpxfk3b0fs5dnqyold24sngzbt7mc...
Verifying package integrity...
Installing eea_osx_en.pkg...

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is ESET Endpoint Antivirus
installer: Installing at base path / installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.)

>>>

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 10:39 PM, Michael Lynn said:

Thanks for the answer, after I posted this I found the JamfPro Composer utility and was able to convert the .dmg to a .pkg (package) file.  With that done I could push and install of the client.   The eset protect admin agent installed from the start with no issue but it does not talk to our Protect console. So with it not on the console and these being macs I tried just pushing the client.   I used the information from kb7324 to setup the exclusions.   Our eset proctect on premise console runs on linux from the OVA file.   We had eset for a few years but just started working in the last few months.

In the version 7 DMG there is a hidden directory called .resources. In there you ca find installer.pkg. It works perfectly!

/Volumes/ESET\ Endpoint\ Antivirus/.resources/Installer.pkg

Thank you so much!   I have so much to learn but you have shared some great information to follow up on.   

Now that some time has passed I also realize I need to look at this differently.   The agent is installing just fine and the reason I am having to install the client with Jamf is that the Agent is not talking to my on premise eset Protect 8.1 server.   I have had great success with the Agent deploying the client her on premise and even on Mac book Pro's folks take home or on the rode.   Not sure if it is that the new IMac's with the M1 cpu are the issue or if if because something needs to change with some other part of the setup.

I also wanted to share that it seems that having Cisco Anywhere for VPN on the Mac is also causing problems.   Once I removed it ESET was happy and the client piece is running fine.