Received A Mail With Valid Account Data From Another User

Nazze

Hello,

today I received a mail with an advertisement for ESET Multi-Device Security.

It includes a different users mail and licence data (user name and password).

At first, I thought this is a phishing mail, but it did not ask to validate any account data or so.

Then, on a different PC, I tried the licence data with NOD32, and it turns out that the account works.

Can I get a statement please: Is this phishing?

If not, how could I get the licence data of another person?

And more interestingly, I want to know immediately: Did anyone receive MY username and password??!?

Best regards

Nazze

PS: Find screenshot attached

PPS: I uninstalled NOD32 with that particular licence data.

post-4980-0-81048000-1408637096_thumb.png

I would have to ask, that you hold off for staff only, as they will need to get your email address as well as the EAV that was emailed to you in a private message.

There is no way to tell if this came from an individual simply ordering online and entering the wrong email address, or from a partner who did it by mistake.

I think it would be very unlikely for any staff at ESET to make this mistake as they have checksums and access to the entire database of client information.

It sounds like a standard person online or a partner may have made this mistake.

Please stand by.

• Administrators

Please pm me an uncensored version of the screen shot so that we can ask the German distributor about the license.

Hello! Can I get a statement please?! Why did ESET distribute valid user data? Who is effected? And why does the German support still not renew my password?

Hello! Can I get a statement please?! Why did ESET distribute valid user data? Who is effected? And why does the German support still not renew my password?

ESET always distributes valid user data. :D

But back to topic:

Who is effected?

No other fall is known, so it seems to be that only one user is affected.

And why does the German support still not renew my password?

I'm quite sure you don't need it, because it's quite improbably that you are affected. If the support detects an overuse of your license data then they surely will change your password.

BTW: Changing passwords would be much more comfortable (you would be able to do it yourself) when this suggestion would be implemented.

And please follow Marcos post and PM him an uncensored version of the screenshot if not already done. Then they will surely can check this issue.

And as an information, it also can be that someone just entered a wrong email and that was yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I looked at the email carefully again and I noticed something very strange. To conclude the warning: Attention, this mail is maybe fake!

As a native German I noticed some mistakes.

Here the list of suspicious things:

• I compared the mail with a license mail (of my own license) I got from the German ESET Shop not so long ago:
    post-3952-0-99242200-1409761830_thumb.png
    As you can see the mails are quite similar, but many things are also different.
    • My mail comes from noreply@eset.de, the mail here comes from Info@Shop.ESET.de. So it maybe is not the official eset.com or eset.de domain. (I don't know whether something like sub-domains are possible for emails - And if you visit hxxp://shop.eset.de you also see a quite strange error message that looks like a 404 error; the correct shop domain for the German Shop is eshop.eset.com currently)
  • the subject makes no sense compared to the content. It says "ESET offer to protect all devices", but as you can see it is not an offer!
  • the dates...
    • ...are for the German language wrong written: There it stands 09/30/2012 as MM/DD/YYYY. This is correct as an American date, but in Germany this is incorrect. Correct would be: 30.09.2012 as DD.MM.YYYY
    • ...don't make sense: There it stands the license was activated at the 09/30/2012, is is valid until 10/06/2015 (this are 3 years, ok this may be possible but also 3 device, ok I looked into the ESET Shop it is also possible, but why different months?) and the best is of course that the email was send at 08/21/2014 which is another different year.
  • another error: Like you can see in the huge header it is a multi-device-license (for 3 devices it says in the text), but in the text there it says something from NOD32:

You get this e-mail, [the comma, that is obligatory in German here is missing in the original text] because you (...) installed a full version of our Internet Security Software ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

(loosely translation)

For a more detailed analysis it would be useful if you post the rest of the e-mail.

Edited by rugk

• 2 weeks later...

@Nazze

Have you PMed the uncensored version of the screenshot and would you please so kind and post the rest of the mail (censored) in this topic?

@Mods

Have you found a reason for this now?

• 3 weeks later...

So what is going on with this issue?

Has ESET already found a reason for this?

ESET already posted that the mistake was corrected on the distributor side along time ago. If i recall

Think it was media and not forums though.

OK that's good to hear. However a link would be good, so users visiting this topic know that it is fixed and don't get afraid.