Linux ESET GUI does not show up

Hi,

fresh install and ESET GUI does not start (version 7 removed before new installation).

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS"

GUI : MATE 1.24.0

uname -a
5.11.0-40-generic #44~20.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 26 18:07:44 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Install
dpkg -l ee*

Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder
| État=Non/Installé/fichier-Config/dépaqUeté/échec-conFig/H=semi-installé/W=attend-traitement-déclenchements
|/ Err?=(aucune)/besoin Réinstallation (État,Err: majuscule=mauvais)
||/ Nom            Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  eea            8.1.4.0      amd64        ESET Endpoint Antivirus

Licence
/opt/eset/eea/sbin/lic

Nom du produit : ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux
État: Activé
ID public : xxx-xxx-xxx
Validité de licence : 2022-05-14

Start ESET
/opt/eset/eea/lib/install_scripts/egui_autorestart.sh --gapplication-service

no error / no GUI.

How can I troubleshoot this issue ?

Thank you, Nils

• ESET Staff

Hi Nils,

currently we are not supporting MATE desktop, therefore GUI is not working. Most probably MATE support will be added in next major release.

Supported desktop environments could be found here: https://help.eset.com/eeau/7/en-US/installation.html?system_requirements.html

Regards,

Peter.  

Hi Peter,

thank you for this quick answer.

Do you know when will be the next major release ?

Isn't it any workaround ?, like installing some GTK or other librairies ?

Regards, Nils.

• ESET Staff

Hi,

for now I'm not able to give you not even an approximate date. Sadly workaround isn't available, because of our incompatibility with Mate (fix requires changes in our code).

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

thank you for your answer.

I have an idea for a workaround to wait the new release, but some questions as well.

1) I could create a new user, to start an other graphical session, running, while my working session is running as well, that's easy, and work, till there is enough RAM. This, Just to run ESET graphically, and to be able to read logs, install updates, etc.

2) For this second session, I can install Gnome, and log in that session with Gnome.

Questions :

- Is there an other lightweight desktop that Eset supports ?, like, LXDE, XFCE, OpenBox, etc., to make this session as light as possible. Or do you know how to install a light Gnome (or Gnome Flash-Back) environment ?

- is Linux ESET has a real time scan ?

- Does ESET will scan all files ?, and especially, the files of my working session, the other one, emails etc.

I suppose it belongs to Linux distribution, at least I could give Read right to all files to this second account, to be able scan all files => chmod o+r /* -R, but will it do it as real time ?, Eset only scan the file of the owner ?, especially in /home.

I am afraid Eset will only scan real time the file of its session, not the file of an other session ?

- How can I receive alerts within my working session ?, can ESET send an email for each real time alert ?, how to setup it ?

Thank you for your answers.

Nils.

• Most Valued Members
19 minutes ago, Nils said:

Hi Peter,

thank you for your answer.

I have an idea for a workaround to wait the new release, but some questions as well.

1) I could create a new user, to start an other graphical session, running, while my working session is running as well, that's easy, and work, till there is enough RAM. This, Just to run ESET graphically, and to be able to read logs, install updates, etc.

2) For this second session, I can install Gnome, and log in that session with Gnome.

Questions :

- Is there an other lightweight desktop that Eset supports ?, like, LXDE, XFCE, OpenBox, etc., to make this session as light as possible. Or do you know how to install a light Gnome (or Gnome Flash-Back) environment ?

- is Linux ESET has a real time scan ?

- Does ESET will scan all files ?, and especially, the files of my working session, the other one, emails etc.

I suppose it belongs to Linux distribution, at least I could give Read right to all files to this second account, to be able scan all files => chmod o+r /* -R, but will it do it as real time ?, Eset only scan the file of the owner ?, especially in /home.

I am afraid Eset will only scan real time the file of its session, not the file of an other session ?

- How can I receive alerts within my working session ?, can ESET send an email for each real time alert ?, how to setup it ?

Thank you for your answers.

Nils.

ESET will function normally even without the GUI , but have to be configured through terminal or through ESET Protect,

It's nice to hear the MATE will be supported soon, and I believe as you have suggested creating a new user and having a different GUI for it , might show you the ESET GUI

• ESET Staff

Hi Nils,

- XFCE is the most lightweight desktop we are currently supporting. Others you mentioned aren't supported. 
- Yes EEA has a real-time scanner. Open, Exec, Create events are monitored under privileged user, therefore everything on your machine will be scanned. 
- EEA is mostly managed product right now, it can't not send other notification, than on desktop. It should be connected to ESET Protect, from this console it could be configured, all events are send into it and ESET Protect could send you mail notification. 

Regards,

Peter

Thanks Nightowl & Peter,

Peter, ok, I understand, and will check command line commands to set it up as I want.

I read that Eset Protect is only for windows servers : https://www.eset.com/ca-fr/entreprises/download/eset-protect/

But we do not have any windows server for this purpose.

Is there an other way ?

And our subscription does not less us use the cloud platform.

Nils.

• ESET Staff

Hi,

EP has also preconfigured virtual ova appliances. Appliance could be deployed into vmware or virtualbox. Also standalone installers are available for linux. Check carefully the download page, you can switch section there. 

Regards,

Peter 

Peter,

thanks,

can you confirm what I understood :

• Eset Protect, can be installed on a Linux server, and be used by a Web interface.
  • The "Agent" is like mandatory to let Eset Protect communicates with clients

Nils.

• ESET Staff

Hi,

- Yes, it is possible to install Eset Protect on Linux server (Component installation on Linux | ESET PROTECT | ESET Online Help)
- Yes, Agent is the communication component between Product and Eset Protect. It needs to be installed on the same machine as product and correctly configurated to communicate with EP

Peter.