Address Has Been Blocked - Breitbart.com

Hello,

I just wanted to post about a particular website being listed as a "Host of malicious software".  The address is:

hxxp://www.breitbart.com/big-government

I went to the site today and my ESET NOD32 anti-virus blocked the site.  I've flagged it as safe in my settings, I've also submitted the form that appears during the blocking process to say it was flagged incorrectly.

This is an online news that I've been reading for years, it's never been a source of anything malicioius.  My guess is someone who doesn't like their political views flagged them as malicious. 

I am posting here because I would hope that ESET would not be a willful participant in this process due to the site's political affiliation.  If they are I'd be happy to take my money elsewhere.

pete

Edited by peteb

• Administrators

This was a false positive which will be fixed with the upcoming update. Anyways, the website wasn't blocked for all users but only for those who have detection of potentially unwanted applications enabled. That said, when the website was blocked you were presented with an option to ignore the warning and proceed to the website.

Hello peteb,

I was having the same problem, I'm using Smart Security 7. I excluded the IP address (72.21.91.19) in advanced setup under protocol filtering. The site is working fine now. Just add the address under Excluded IP addresses and you should be good to go. I had previously tried to exclude the address from filtering through URL address management with no luck.

In addition I checked a couple of dozen conservative sites to see if I could duplicate the problem with no luck. The same with a few popular liberal sites. It seems to me that if this was something malicious other sites like Drudge or Malkin or even PJTV would have been targeted as well. So I am not ready to suggest anything inappropriate being done on the part of ESET. I'll leave the exception up for a day or so and see if it has been fixed. I'll also be keeping an eye on other sites to see if this becomes a pattern.

In years of using ESET this is the first issue I have ever had. I've paid them to protect my computer and they have always done an exemplary job of it. Though if a pattern does emerge then I will have some decisions to make.

I hope this helps and solves your problem.

• Administrators

Hello peteb,

I was having the same problem, I'm using Smart Security 7. I excluded the IP address (72.21.91.19) in advanced setup under protocol filtering. The site is working fine now. Just add the address under Excluded IP addresses and you should be good to go. I had previously tried to exclude the address from filtering through URL address management with no luck.

There's no need to do exclude any address, just run update manually or wait until ESET updates automatically at the next scheduled time.

In years of using ESET this is the first issue I have ever had. I've paid them to protect my computer and they have always done an exemplary job of it. Though if a pattern does emerge then I will have some decisions to make.

The problem was just with this particular address which got blocked (not for all users) because of a bunch of potentially unwanted applications detected there.

Strange- I have detection of potentially unwanted applications applications enabled and it let me in with no problem.

It does work for other pages and I welcome it.

AFAIK the block for this particular website was fixed around 11-12 hours ago so everyone should be able to access that site just fine now.