Views on having a lifetime license?

Pentode

3 hours ago, Pentode said:

What are the views of having a lifetime license for Eset products? If there was I might be interested.

This topic has been extensively discussed on the web security forums such as wilderssecurity.com and malwaretips.com with the following findings and comments:

1. Lifetime licenses in reality don't exist. Most that are issued have duration limitations such as only for the current release series, etc.. They also do not survive a company merger with is a common thing in the security software area.

2. Financially and obviously, issuing a lifetime license only is viable for software that is not frequently updated and maintained. That is the software is not actively be upgraded and enhanced.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, itman said:

This topic has been extensively discussed on the web security forums such as wilderssecurity.com and malwaretips.com with the following findings and comments:

1. Lifetime licenses in reality don't exist. Most that are issued have duration limitations such as only for the current release series, etc.. They also do not survive a company merger with is a common thing in the security software area.

2. Financially and obviously, issuing a lifetime license only is viable for software that is not frequently updated and maintained. That is the software is not actively be upgraded and enhanced.

Yeah I do have a lifetime license for malwarebytes which as far as I know is still honoured even though it's no longer offered but don't run the software.

But yeah most don't offer it as in theory if everyone bought it they wouldn't be able to get more sales. Red dwarf, the British SC-FI show made a good joke about this. Their lifetime engine actually broke but as they where supposed to last a lifetime the company went bust