Endpoint for macOS - protect configuration

Ufoto
Go to solution Solved by Matus,

Hello,

We have a number of macOS devices managed by ESET Protect and I was wondering if there is a way to prevent users from changing settings (similar to the password protection in Endpoint Security for Windows) as I don't see similar option in the macOS client policy? Is there any other way to prevent users from simply stopping all product functionalities? 

Additionally, could you confirm whether the ESET Agent password protection against uninstall work on macOS?

Thank you in advance!

• Former ESET Employees
  • Solution

Hi Kostadin,

If you set policy via Protect, you can't change that locally. 

image.png

Password protected settings are meant in case you're not managed or some settings are not managed... If you set every setting like that (even defaults) from Protect, user can't change that.

On Mac, ESET Agent password protection is not present. To limit/protect against uninstallation ensure, that users are not administrators (root access) of a machine. In UNIX world, root can do everything. 

22 minutes ago, Matus said:

Hi Kostadin,

If you set policy via Protect, you can't change that locally. 

image.png

Password protected settings are meant in case you're not managed or some settings are not managed... If you set every setting like that (even defaults) from Protect, user can't change that.

On Mac, ESET Agent password protection is not present. To limit/protect against uninstallation ensure, that users are not administrators (root access) of a machine. In UNIX world, root can do everything. 

Thank you, indeed locking the settings is something I didn't think of. We can implement it like this, the only downside I see is that when you have the password protected setup, if an administrator needs to change something locally, he can provide the password and do it, while locking the setting makes changes possible only through ESET Protect. Still this is much better than leaving the settings editable.